What's new

storage bags

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
the ol' lady got a vaccum food sealer for christmas. the first time she used it i started thinking about putting cigars in the bags and sealing them up. i dug through one of my humidors for some cheap smokes that i would probably never smoke and sealed em up. first and foremost i just wanted to see if by sealing them up like that, if it would crush the cigars. it didnt. so i took a few cigars that i was more familiar with (padron londres maduros) and sealed up a few of them. in about 10-12 months im gonna do a taste test. one night smoke one from the bag, and the next nite one from my humidor.
have any of you tried this yet?? if so, what were your results?? any thoughts??

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've never done this, but I've heard of many people who do this.
Primarily for very long term aging (decades), but nothing wrong with doing it for shorter and checking..
All part of the oxygen-deprivation school of cigar aging. The idea being that the less oxygen the slower and better the aging.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bob and Dale discussed this on Dogwatch Social Club. The big question was would the lack of air movement hamper the breakdown of ammonia and slow aging?

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I was planning on sealing up some McClelland pipe tobacco and was told that "some" air was needed for proper aging. Not sure if it makes a difference. But I chose not to vacuum seal and just left it in Jars.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Bob and Dale discussed this on Dogwatch Social Club. The big question was would the lack of air movement hamper the breakdown of ammonia and slow aging?
MRN discusses this debate in his book.

If you want to slow aging, definitely keep things as "airtight" as possible. This is meant for long term aging, as in 10 years +. Anything less and you'll have too much ammonia for it go through the proper chemical processes. The reason for the "airtight" storage is to lock in flavors.

If you plan on keeping your cigars for a relatively shorter period of time I'd recommend having some kind of air exchange.

Of course, this is just an opinion. I tend to enjoy limited air exchange, especially with younger cigars. I'm also impatient, just for your info.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
well i was kind of thinking that sealing them in bags, i could save on humidor space. as long as i kept them in a "cool" place, i could bag a bunch and just keep them in a larger card-board box in an out of the way place.
if i could get bags big enough, i could probably seal an entire box and just stack them up somewhere....

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
They key is to not let the machine suck all the air out. But yes it's a great way to store your cigar for the really long term.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
well, was rummaging through some of my boxes of cigar boxes and empty tubes and what not and found the fiver of Padron Maduro Londres i sealed up in january. they have been sitting now for just about 5 and a half months now with no "air". sealed in food-savor bags. i think its about time to cut the bag and test one out. will let you all know how this works out.........

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
well, was rummaging through some of my boxes of cigar boxes and empty tubes and what not and found the fiver of Padron Maduro Londres i sealed up in january. they have been sitting now for just about 5 and a half months now with no "air". sealed in food-savor bags. i think its about time to cut the bag and test one out. will let you all know how this works out.........
I can't wait to hear.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The last two boxes of cigars I have bought, come from the company sealed in a vacusealed bag. It must be good for something cause they do it.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The last two boxes of cigars I have bought, come from the company sealed in a vacusealed bag. It must be good for something cause they do it.
They do it for protection during the shipping process. The seal it at the distribution center. Before that they are sitting in nice humidified storage rooms.

Sealing will slow down the aging process. If your going to hold for 10 years should work fine. Downside is you never know what going on in there.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
...Sealing will slow down the aging process. If your going to hold for 10 years should work fine. Downside is you never know what going on in there.
yeah, but a side benefit is that you are less inclined to break down and smoke one(s) sooner than you wanted to let them sit for :smokingbo