What's new

Storage Question Here......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the prefered way to store cigars in a humidore? Do I take'em out of the wrappers and tubes, or does it matter. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Rank_Tyro said:
What is the prefered way to store cigars in a humidore? Do I take'em out of the wrappers and tubes, or does it matter. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)
Leave 'em in, especially the tubos!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
to argue the point, has any one seeen plum develop on the inside of cello wrapped cigar?? I've only seen plum with cello off.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Who cares about plume. I haven't read any reviews to where a plume covered cigar tasted better then a regular cigar of the same age. I just leave'm in the original packaging. It's much easier that way :thumbsup:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
If I remember correctly, doesn't plume indicate that a cigar is aging???? Are you saying that when you see your stick all white and fuzzy( no coments needed) you don't get excited???? ANSWER ME CLIFF!!!!!!! SAY ITTTTT!!!!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Why leave it on? I take it off because I like to look at the wrapper and see the distinct characteristics of the wrapper. I think air circulation is better for the aging process. I've read that humidy can dissipate in the cello faster than it can be replenished. Cello takes up more space in the humidor!!!!!! white AND fuzzy baby!!!!!!

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
ohpus said:
If I remember correctly, doesn't plume indicate that a cigar is aging???? Are you saying that when you see your stick all white and fuzzy( no coments needed) you don't get excited???? ANSWER ME CLIFF!!!!!!! SAY ITTTTT!!!!
IIRC, plume comes from a cigar being oily and also being in the right humidity/temp for a prolonged period of time. The oil from the cigar rises and thus crystalizes and this causes plume. But I could be wrong, been a while since I've studied up on plume.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
ohpus said:
Why leave it on? I take it off because I like to look at the wrapper and see the distinct characteristics of the wrapper. I think air circulation is better for the aging process. I've read that humidy can dissipate in the cello faster than it can be replenished. Cello takes up more space in the humidor!!!!!! white AND fuzzy baby!!!!!!
Cello slows the aging process because air doesn't flow around it as much. The more air exposed to it, the faster it will age. Who's worried about humidity dissipating in the cello as long as it's kept in a controlled environment :dunno: As for "white and fuzzy," plume is like crystals flat on the cigar; if you have a lot of "white and fuzzy" cigars then I'd check for mold problems.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I don't think plum changes the taste of a cigar, but it does show that it is aging in the propper condition, just as cvm4 stated. which brings us back to my original question, has any one seen plume on a cello'd cigar? If not, does that mean that the aging process is slower? Can a cigar age and never develp plum????

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
According to "Min":
"I called my friend who smokes cigars and who knows his stuff in chemistry this morning.

His explanation is that plumes are INORGANIC mineral salts crystals.

These salts are previously dissolved within the oils. They are non-volatile but are carried temporarily into the air when the oils evaporate. When they could be carried no further, they deposit onto the cigar as plumes.

Makes perfect sense to me..."

Quote from our knowledeable BOTL "Plume":

First let's clarify a few points made here:

1) Plume does not come from the “essential oils”, rather form from the “essentials” in the oils…in other words the oils carry the minerals that form the plume.
2) Plume is the crystallization of minerals just as it is with salt crystals, and other minerals forming crystals, sugar, gemstones, etc.
3) There are two ways to form crystals (scientifically speaking). The first way is when minerals in lava (or oils or other conducing materials) cools SLOWLY (as in lava what carbon in coal is to diamonds) This is the way that gemstones are formed, over long periods of time and typically involve pressure and heat and long cooling periods. The second way to form crystals is by evaporation, for example the way salt crystals are formed. Evaporation removes the water leaving the impurities (sodium chloride in this case) and the crystals form over a shorter time, by linking and chaining in repeating patterns at the molecular level.

So here’s my Junior Scientist opinion:
Since your cigars never get to the extreme temperatures of lava and the earth’s crust and since oils do not readily evaporate like water, plume is more likely formed by the addition and evaporation of water. In other words the presence and flow of humidity within the humidor carries the minerals out of the cigar’s plant oils to the surface and the slow evaporation of the water from the wrapper (closest to the air) causes crystalline growth of the minerals present on the outside of the cigar. Another factor, and in my experience that also supports Joe's conclusion, is that water evaporates more slowly at cooler temperatures. In other words cigars stored at warmer temperatures in humid conditions is more likely to give to plume when subjected to a cooler environment since evaporation occurs more slowly.

Hot temperatures makes water evaporate too quickly to allow minerals to truly crystallize.

Take two pots and put an equal amount of salt (or sugar) and water. Put one pot on the burner and the other at room temperature. The cooked salt will just leave salt residue on the bottom of the pot while the room temperature pot will create complex crystal formation.

So for me plume is merely the by-product of humidity and cool temperatures and occurs in cigars that have more oils and by virtue more essential minerals to crystallize.

Make sense?"

Plume is not related to the age of a cigar, see MRN page 216, the Hoyo EL Particulares (2000) is full of plume and that was back when the book was first written (or earlier depending on when the photo was actually taken).

Hope this helps.
~M

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I leave it on if they come that way. Last weekend I was in a B&M that was very sparsly stocked but they had lots of Macanudos and a large percentage of them had plume. I was stunned, so I looked closer to make sure it wasn't mold. Nope, plume. Dozens of sticks with plume! I wish I'd had a bunch of money right then.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I leave them on as well. Mainly because it is easier but I would not want to trade someone a 5'er of my Opus that do not have the cello packes on them.

If they come naked, leave them naked... if they come with cello... leave the cello... that is my .02 worth

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
cvm4 said:
IIRC, plume comes from a cigar being oily and also being in the right humidity/temp for a prolonged period of time. The oil from the cigar rises and thus crystalizes and this causes plume. But I could be wrong, been a while since I've studied up on plume.
Correct. Plume will look more like small white crystals. If I saw sticks that were all "white and fuzzy, my ass would be lowering the humidity and wiping off the mold!

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
DWavs said:
Correct. Plume will look more like small white crystals. If I saw sticks that were all "white and fuzzy, my ass would be lowering the humidity and wiping off the mold!
Ditto...My first mold attack was on a AF Hemingway Classic Maduro :cursing:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot guys, from what I have seen on this thread, and after asking a couple of local people, I think I'll be leaving the cello and the tubes on. Since I am still kind of new to this, I think it will be a while before I start thinking of long term storage and ageing. At that point I will probably take the coverings off