What's new

Store cigars in or out of cellophane?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
When I buy a box, I almost always pull the cigars out of the cellophane before putting them in the humi - no particular reason. Does anybody have suggestions on this?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It is really all up to you.... I dont believe that there are any positives or negatives to doing it either way... just personal preference I believe

Smokin Joe

Fore!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm storing different kinds together I leave it on. If I put a whole box in together or cigars of the same brand and wrapper I take it off, so a little bit of both I guess. I'm told they don't age as well if you leave it on.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
tobby4 said:
It is really all up to you.... I dont believe that there are any positives or negatives to doing it either way... just personal preference I believe
A friend said that I had to worry about cigars taking on characteristics of other cigars, but I have not noticed this.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
That is not an issue.

On or off it's up to you...some claim it effects the ageing process but who knows. :dunno:
Even those crappy ass Acid cigars? I have seen those, but I think I will pass - I prefer not to choose between aqua velva and brut when selecting a cigar. lol

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If they come in it, I usually leave them in it. Helps protect mine from bumps and the wrapper getting messed up, especially near the foot. This happens cause I am always digging through my humidor to decide what the heck to smoke!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Here's my padded response. I have never seen plume on a cigar in cello, but when off I've seen maduro's turn white. So, based on that, I would rather see plume over yello cello.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
When I used to smoke n/c's, I would just leave them how they came. No biggie of cello on or off for me :wink:

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
True Story

A few weeks ago, I dug deep into my cooler for something different and came out with an AF Anejo No. 46. Took the cello off and it had *gasp* mold spots. I checked every other stick in that box and spot-checked other boxes and didn't find any other affected thusly. Was the cello on that cigar air tight, thus allowing mold?

First one I've had do that and of COURSE it was an Anejo.

:dunno:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Doofus that's a close call! :popeyes: Cello is not airtight and can breathe, so it had to be an isolated incident :dunno:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
joshua said:
If they come in it, I usually leave them in it. Helps protect mine from bumps and the wrapper getting messed up, especially near the foot. This happens cause I am always digging through my humidor to decide what the heck to smoke!
I'd agree. :thumbsup:

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Ok I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I've been reading so I've got the "little knowledge is a dangerous thing" going for me so take this for what it is.

MRN in his book believes that the cello slows down the aging process, which is a good thing when aging cigars for the long term. If you just want to put some short term age on them he suggests taking the cello off.

If you plan on smoking the cello'd cigar anytime soon you're probably better off leaving the cello on for protection.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
jcgoldner said:
Ok I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I've been reading so I've got the "little knowledge is a dangerous thing" going for me so take this for what it is.

MRN in his book believes that the cello slows down the aging process, which is a good thing when aging cigars for the long term. If you just want to put some short term age on them he suggests taking the cello off.

If you plan on smoking the cello'd cigar anytime soon you're probably better off leaving the cello on for protection.
If I got through my book I would know that. I need to read faster and stop drooling!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I used to be in the camp that advocates removing the cellophane to let the cigars breathe. But I have changed in this regard. I have had the opportunity on a few occasions to try the same aged cigar, talking 80's with these cigars. One where the cigar was stored without the cellophane, and one with the cellophane intact. Maybe it was just me, but I enjoyed the cello stored cigar better. More flavorful.