What's new

Store cigars in or out of cellophane?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I store them the way the cigar stores do and the factories do.

If they come in cello I leave them in the cello.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Boxes in the coolerdor I leave them on, singles in the humi I take them off. As cvm4 said the cellophane is not airtight so the cigar will still age but maybe not as fast?:dunno:

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
tubaman said:
I used to be in the camp that advocates removing the cellophane to let the cigars breathe. But I have changed in this regard. I have had the opportunity on a few occasions to try the same aged cigar, talking 80's with these cigars. One where the cigar was stored without the cellophane, and one with the cellophane intact. Maybe it was just me, but I enjoyed the cello stored cigar better. More flavorful.
Kevin your experience is exactly the same as MRN described in his book. It's always better when comparing apples to apples.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
jcgoldner said:
Ok I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I've been reading so I've got the "little knowledge is a dangerous thing" going for me so take this for what it is.

MRN in his book believes that the cello slows down the aging process, which is a good thing when aging cigars for the long term. If you just want to put some short term age on them he suggests taking the cello off.

If you plan on smoking the cello'd cigar anytime soon you're probably better off leaving the cello on for protection.
Words to live by

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
fredneck, depends. if you have a cedar wrapped smoke and want to keep it for collectability, then keep it on. But if cedar is kept n the smoke too long, the wood flavor can take over the other flavors of the cigar. As far as tubes go, some just take off the cap and leave the smokes in them. Now I have no idead what some of you do with the empty tubes, but I keep them for travel!!!!!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Personally, I like leaving the cigars as they come. When I first started I pulled off the cello the minute the box was opened, but now, if it comes on it, I leave it on. If storing as singles the cello also helps to protect the wrapper if you are one of those..."fondlers"...:wink:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I keep the tubes sealed, same idea as not removing the cello. Think of it this way, why are SLB more desirable than Dress Boxes? Because the SLB gives a more airtight seal and gives a better aging environment. Same idea as the tubos. I can taste a definate difference in, say a RyJ Churchill that has been stored in a tube as opposed to just in a dress box.