What's new

Storing in Aluminum Tubes

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Can I store sticks in the A/T (no box) for say 3 months, 6 months, or even a year without being in a RH controlled environment? These will be going in normal room air temps and with winter coming, the RH will be dropping pretty low at times. What say you brothers, the more replies the better. Thanks.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
They are not in an optimum storage device and shouldn't be thought of as anything other than just portable protection for your cigar. They do offer a bit of an edge in regards to ageing, but aside from that, they are not intended as an alternative to a humidor.

Too much of a swing in humidity and temp could cause the tube to sweat and really jack up the cigar.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I bet they would last a while if you stuck them in the tubs inside of a travel humidor if you really needed to, but I wouldn't rely on it.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
These guys are all just guessing. Now we have to do this scientifically. Send me half your tubed cigars and I will store them at 65%/ 65% hum and you keep your half out in the open. In 30 days we will each smoke the cigars in our test group and report to all on the effects. :stretchgr

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Nope... you can store them in your humi still in the tubes and the humidity will get to them, this is the same reason that you cannot store them in an uncontrolled environment..

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not sure, it seems possible that they could impart a metallic taste to those around it, just asking

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have smoked some old cigars that have been stored in aluminum tubes. Never detected any metallic taste.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I think the question RX2010 was asking was whether the aluminium may impart flavors to 'other' cigars.

I'm not sure.

If it doesn't effect the taste of the tubed cigar, how is it going to effect the others? :dunno:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Actually an interesting question. The tubed cigars I have had, the tubes were all lined with cedar. Could a tube sitting next to raw wrapper impart flavor? Dunno. First impluse is no but I have no facts to back it up.