What's new

storing of cigars in a SLB

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
when you receive a new SLB of cigars, do you remove the wax-type paper so the smokes are in contact with the cedar box? or leave them as is? my thought was they would age better without the paper....

thanks in advance!

jeff

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I leave it how it is. They probably wouldn't have put it in there if it didn't serve a purpose :dunno:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The way they are stored in the factory is the way they are stored in my humidor.

That goes for long or short term storage.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I leave in there to prevent the sticks from chafing against the cedar wood.

The only thing I remove from any boxes is the bubble wrap to keep the sticks from getting damaged during shipping. All else stays as is.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I leave the parchment paper in there and have even cut and installed my own when putting individual cigars into blank cedar boxes.

Also, definitely keep those boxes closed.

I do take the shrink off though, if you buy a box that is wrapped. I left a box of Ashton Aged Maduros in the shrink wrap in my cabinet for a couple of months and when I did finally break it open, I had to toss a couple of moldy sticks. :frown: Seems that many manufacturers ship them fairly wet.

Good questions!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If I may ask, Do you leave the lid open on the box while in the Humi, close it or take it off completely?

Only leave open if you want to age, or push the aging faster to allow oxygen and airflow around the cigars. By doing so makes the cigar not age as well is how I understand things. I keep ALL cigars in boxes with lids closed.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I leave in there to prevent the sticks from chafing against the cedar wood.

The only thing I remove from any boxes is the bubble wrap to keep the sticks from getting damaged during shipping. All else stays as is.
Ditto that!

Also on the leaving the box open...I have gotten in the habit of leaving a box open for a week or so before closing and settling them in. My thinking was that it helps them get acclimated (sp?) better doing this. I have noticed that they do ship with a humidi pack, but I don't think this does much good especially with multi-box purchases.