What's new

straight Razor Shaving

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well, I've always been a fan of a nice shave. Today while at the Art of Shaving I decided to spring for a straight razor. Not wanting to invest to much I bought the straight razor which uses the disposable straight edge inserts made from a company in Germany. I think total I spent $60 which isn't bad compared to the prices of other things the sell.

I'm curious to see who here currently shaves with a straight edge and how they liked it compared to the traditional safety razor.

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is my second razor from them, I have their power fusion as well for a quick shave, but I think the straight edge will get close. If you guys haven't had a chance to get shaved by a barber give it a try. The shave is suppose to take 30 minutes so it's not a rush shave that is for sure. If I like it I'm going to upgrade to one that doesn't have disposable blades. The never have to buy blades again is a nice feeling. You do have to send it out once a year to get it sharpened other than using your honing leather.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I shave with a double-edge razor blade - the blade handle I have is made by the same company that you bought your straight razor from - I believe it's Merkur. There's nothing like making your own shaving cream with a brush, and then applying the warm cream. Plus, my shaves have never been closer, and my skin has never been better.

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes the blades I got were Merkur. I honestly had very sensitive skin, and after shaving it would get irritated. I use to shave once a week to prevent this but now I can shave every other day if I want and I have no problems. I use the art of shaving steps. 1. Pre-shave oil, 2. Badger brush / cream 3. After shave. 4. septic pen if needed.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I shave with a double-edge razor blade - the blade handle I have is made by the same company that you bought your straight razor from - I believe it's Merkur. There's nothing like making your own shaving cream with a brush, and then applying the warm cream. Plus, my shaves have never been closer, and my skin has never been better.
the guy in the avatar pic (with the beard). Is that you? :ninja:

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Well, I've always been a fan of a nice shave. Today while at the Art of Shaving I decided to spring for a straight razor. Not wanting to invest to much I bought the straight razor which uses the disposable straight edge inserts made from a company in Germany. I think total I spent $60 which isn't bad compared to the prices of other things the sell.

I'm curious to see who here currently shaves with a straight edge and how they liked it compared to the traditional safety razor.
Yeah, I sometimes use one. I have a few razors, some I bought new and others I found on eBay or at antiques stores. I received a nice NOS Friodur like this one as a gift, except mine has translucent red scales:

I have one of those Dovo disposable blade straight razors like you bought. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about honing or stropping at first, but I found that the disposable blade razors felt too light in my hand. These days (when I have time to shave!), I usually use an old Gillette Fat Boy like this:

It doesn't shave as close as a straight razor, but it shaves much better than a cartridge razor, and the blades are much cheaper.

If you haven't done so already, you should check out http://straightrazorplace.com. Lots of good info there. Although it might be bad for your budget, once you start seeing razors like this:

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i use a straight razor around my goatee. Use the gilette mach 3 on the cheeks and neck, but for that ultra thin mexican mafia mustache.goatee, i use the straight razr.

No idea what brand it is. My wife, the cosmetologist, gave it to me a several years ago when i grew the thing, and i haven't looked back since. It takes the replaceable blades, and I use and American Crew shaving gel.

I've done a full shave with teh straight raxor a few times, but it makes me sooooooo nervous. It's so dag gum easy to cut yourself with a straight razor. One wrong move and phhhhht! you got a thin little line of blood. I've cut myself countless times around the gaotee. I'd hate to do it on the face of my neck knowing my esophogous is a mere millimeters under that skin!!!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
man...I just slap some bar soap on my face and use a 3 week old $.50 razor in the shower everyday. Couldn't imagine throwin' down money like that for a shave.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
man...I just slap some bar soap on my face and use a 3 week old $.50 razor in the shower everyday. Couldn't imagine throwin' down money like that for a shave.
It's like a Palio against a disposable. As long as ye don't loose them and care well for them, they will pay themselves soon.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
When I first got into headshaving there were a lot of guys who used straight razors and tried talking me into it....I never tried it though. Some guys believe strongly in it...it's really an art form of itself. I use a Fusion and C.O. Bigelow Premium Cream. I try to use KOS Shaving Oil when I can...I think shaving oil makes a BIG difference.