What's new

straight Razor Shaving

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I'm back to report that my first straight razor shave was 50% successful. I started with my right side and when I placed it on the skin is when I started to cut myself. I switched sides to the left and it was more successful. I did the first full pass with great success but the second pass against the grain I decided to switch to my power fusion

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/fcc_home.php

and did my skin thank me for it. I have a little burning but the septic pen and the after shave really helped out. I'l be trying it again until I get it down.
I hope you meant "styptic" or you'll need to go to the E.R. for reasons other than being cut.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been shaving with naked steel for about 3 years now. I was tired of the blade wars (twin, triple, now five blades!) but I'm not saving any money. To me, it's about the ritual, the connection to how things used to be, and a bit of indulgence.

Yeah, I sometimes use one. I have a few razors, some I bought new and others I found on eBay or at antiques stores. I received a nice NOS Friodur like this one as a gift, except mine has translucent red scales
That's a fine looking razor. I'm on the lookout for a nice-but-not-custom razor with a spanish point and a few of the Henkels NOS have caught my eye. I'm also consider one from Heribert Wacker as I prefer a 6/8 blade.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Guys,

Great to see the straight razor discussion. Wet Shaving in itself is a very relaxing and enjoyable. The straight razor part does have a short learning curve, but the rewards regarding the experience are well worth it.

Let me know if I can ever answer any questions for you.

This is a great forum here.

Thanks,

Lynn

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
God I just got out of a life of having to be clean shaved all the time I only shave, at most, twice a week now. I could take the time I guess but I'd cut myself too much.

Also after watching that video on page one from youtube isn't shaving against the grain bad? Maybe I just think it's bad because I'm using a cheapie mach3 cartridge razor. Either way I thought against the grain shaving causes ingrown hairs.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Man, I'd be frightened to death of a straight razor(saw "Dressed To Kill" as a kid, still having nightmares). I may be in the minority but I use a cheap 3 month old blue bic 3 blade in the shower every morning, with bar soap and no mirror. Smooth as a baby ass everyday. I don't get that 5 o'clock shadow like most people do though being a blondy.

Doc

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Lynn good to see ya over here!!!! Any of you guys interested in Straight razors and in the NC area should consider attending the SRP Gathering held in Asheville NC June 6th 7th and 8th. Everything you ever wanted to know about Straight razor Shaving you can learn there. Or join us over at Lynn's sight. http://straightrazorplace.com/index.php

GarlicBelch

John Martinez
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started shaving with a safety razor! I'll never go back!

I did go into The Art of Shaving at the mall. Yikes! Mucho $$$$!!!

I bought all of my stuff online, Amazon mostly.

I have a Merkur handle and Derby blades. Not brave enough to try the Japanese blades yet! I use

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have really sensitive skin and found the pre-shave oil to be a blessing. I think the big key is no pressure too, just let the blade glide over the skin. Wet shaving is amazing, I don't understand how people can shave with electric razors.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It`s a three way tie for life`s finest pleasure.
1) a good cigar
2) a shave by a barber
3) ....you know damned good and well what #3 is:devil:

Until I was in my mid-20s, I got shaved by the same barber who gave me my first haircut. He retired around the time HIV/AIDS reared its ugly head and the other local barbers stopped offering shaves. One told me that shaving was discouraged by whatever state board licensed them.
I had my Grandad`s mug, brush & razors when I started shaving myself, so all I had to invest was some blood and the price of a cake of shaving soap. That was one rough learning curve:crytears:

I`ve worn a full beard for 15 years.