What's new

Strange Humidor?!?

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have several boxes that do not fit in my humidor, so I've purchased the large humidor bags, throw in a boveda pack or two, depending on the size of the box and feel they are in good shape for a while. If they are going to be in the humidor bad for a while, I keep watch on the boveda pack and change them out if/when needed. A buddy of mine purchased a box of cigars and when I asked about storage, he said he would keep them in a Space Saver Bag, and throw in a boveda pack for good measure. Has anyone ever heard of this/ tried this? Would this work, would it damage the cigars? I just never heard of anyone using a space saving bag for storage.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have several boxes that do not fit in my humidor, so I've purchased the large humidor bags, throw in a boveda pack or two, depending on the size of the box and feel they are in good shape for a while. If they are going to be in the humidor bad for a while, I keep watch on the boveda pack and change them out if/when needed. A buddy of mine purchased a box of cigars and when I asked about storage, he said he would keep them in a Space Saver Bag, and throw in a boveda pack for good measure. Has anyone ever heard of this/ tried this? Would this work, would it damage the cigars? I just never heard of anyone using a space saving bag for storage.
As long as it's sealed well and properly humidified, I don't see why not; although, why not just buy a large, $15 locking Tupperware container from Wal-Mart or target and be done with it? That's a ton of storage on the cheap for boxes and singles! :) (y)

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good point, I keep meaning to purchase some Tupperware. Any more boxes and I'll need the extra room! Thx for the info on the space savor bag, I would hate for him to lose any cigars because they weren't stored properly.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
What difference does it make if it's in a bag or a tupperware or another airtight environment if it's humidified properly and in boxes?

If you have bags and they're working, why waste $15 on a tupperware?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
When I give certain people cigars, like my FIL who doesn't have a humi, I throw in a ziploc with a boveda and tell him they're fine in there until the boveda gets hard

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had some sandwich bags impart a weird plasticy smell/flavor to my food before. I would hate for something like that to happen to happen to a box of cigars. Granted, this doesn't happen often and you can usually tell if it will just by smelling the plastic bag before using it.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
When I give certain people cigars, like my FIL who doesn't have a humi, I throw in a ziploc with a boveda and tell him they're fine in there until the boveda gets hard
Yup. Do this whenever I have someone asking me about cigars and storage n stuff.
Coworker wanted to get into cigars, was keeping em in a jar with a water pillow and not having the greatest results (shocking) so I gave him a thick freezer bag and two bovedas and said try this. Hes happy with the results

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
For me, a foodsafe storage container is the way to go. Get a $20 cooler at walmart and have plenty of extra storage at very little cost, with the added bonus of mitigating sudden temp fluctuations.

Web

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In all these years I have yet to use Tupperware but that seems like the way to go, However, if these boxes keep finding their way to my house, I guess I'll just have buy a cooler or maybe cedar panel the guest room:sneaky: