What's new

Strange Idea

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking at some of my cigars in glass tubes and it donned on me that the tubes are nothing more than a test tube w/ a stopper.

Am I crazy or might this be a good idea for long term storage of my precious singles that I want to protect from damage?

Found this site where you can get tubes for $0.38 to $1.00 each.

Let me know what u think......:santa:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Most times the tube includes a sliver of Spanish cedar to add to the mix. I simply store the cigars how they came. They do sell some cigars in tubos for us to buy. Depending on the size cigar, there will be too much extra space around the cigar and might not be best for longterm storage. Like in a dress box or all wood slb, the cigars are next to each other. For me, no chance I would go this route of glass tubes with cork stoppers.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yeah. I was thinking th cork or even worse the rubber stopper might impart a flavor on th cigar. Buy tubos.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Unless you got exactly all of varying sizes of tubes to fit each different size of cigar, I'm not sure it would help keep the any safer since some would rattle around. It may work if you only smoked one standard size of cigar though. Line it with some thin cedar sheets and possibly under the stopper.

What I want to know is... if you put cigars in a test tube - do they multiply? heh

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Okay, let's do the math. According to your pricing, the median cost is .69/tube...if you only keep 100 cigars at a time and keep replacing them with the exact size to fit the test tube of the cigar you smoked, then you would spend $69.00 only. If you deviate from the exact size replacement rule then your costs go up. If you graduate to where some of the other BsOTL inventory is, say 500-1000 cigars, then your minimum investment becomes $345-$690 in test tubes. I guess if money is no problem this would be unique....or....if you spent this money on your wife /girlfriend instead, you will probably get a lot more sugar in your coffee!

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I keep old tubes to transport a cigar or 2 on trips. However if you store them in a glass tube and a stopper on it in your Humidor don't put the stopper on too tight since the stopper could not let humidity get to you precious sticks.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Instead of glass, use plastic. There is a website that sells plastic tubes that hold a double corona size, with a plastic stopper, for a reasonable price. I do not the address, I'll look around. I think the price point is less than 30 cents per.

I keep certain cigars in these plastic tubes. I don't use the stopper, so there is no humidity issue, and since the cigars aren't rolling around it doesn't matter about the size of the actual cigar. This protects the cigar and keeps it stored properly.
Cedar strips aren't necessary as the tubes are open to the humdor "environment" and keeping cigars in actual contact with cedar is not needed anyway.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Okay, let's do the math. According to your pricing, the median cost is .69/tube...if you only keep 100 cigars at a time and keep replacing them with the exact size to fit the test tube of the cigar you smoked, then you would spend $69.00 only. If you deviate from the exact size replacement rule then your costs go up. If you graduate to where some of the other BsOTL inventory is, say 500-1000 cigars, then your minimum investment becomes $345-$690 in test tubes. I guess if money is no problem this would be unique....or....if you spent this money on your wife /girlfriend instead, you will probably get a lot more sugar in your coffee!
Whoa dude. 10 Am and This actually makes sense. Less coffee tomorrow

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Instead of glass, use plastic. There is a website that sells plastic tubes that hold a double corona size, with a plastic stopper, for a reasonable price. I do not the address, I'll look around. I think the price point is less than 30 cents per.

I keep certain cigars in these plastic tubes. I don't use the stopper, so there is no humidity issue, and since the cigars aren't rolling around it doesn't matter about the size of the actual cigar. This protects the cigar and keeps it stored properly.
Cedar strips aren't necessary as the tubes are open to the humdor "environment" and keeping cigars in actual contact with cedar is not needed anyway.
I use these for certain cigars that are extremely valuable that I want to hold onto for awhile. I have about a hundred of these tubes stogies is talking about and they work great. Just be sure your cigar will fit in them, especially the ring guage. You want to be able to get it back out!

Kevin

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I use glass tubes (DC size) with a plastic stopper that has a foam backing so as not to damage the foot of the cigar. I use them like Kevin to store some of my more valuable singles and to prevent them from damage. Relatively tight which will preserve aromas/bouquet but will let in the right amount of humidity so as not to dry out the cigar.

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use glass tubes (DC size) with a plastic stopper that has a foam backing so as not to damage the foot of the cigar. I use them like Kevin to store some of my more valuable singles and to prevent them from damage. Relatively tight which will preserve aromas/bouquet but will let in the right amount of humidity so as not to dry out the cigar.
this makes the most sense to me. for some of those high dollar or rare cigars that you want to protect. that would be a good idea. i'm very interested if someone has the link to the plastic tubed DC version..