What's new

Strange T52 issue!!

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I told him to bring it over here, along with his other Liga stuff, I would inspect them, one at a time, while he watched me smoke....er...disect them. This turned out to be something that never panned out, shame. I mean, he only lives a few minutes away, and I was willing to help his poor soul out, but this supposed "BOTL" didn't take me up on said generous offer...I weep a tear or two every night since the passing of that cigar :dunno:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I told him to bring it over here, along with his other Liga stuff, I would inspect them, one at a time, while he watched me smoke....er...disect them. This turned out to be something that never panned out, shame. I mean, he only lives a few minutes away, and I was willing to help his poor soul out, but this supposed "BOTL" didn't take me up on said generous offer...I weep a tear or two every night since the passing of that cigar :dunno:
Hahaha I couldnt let you go to such trouble for me Z, I do still have an FFP with your name on it for one of these days though!!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hey guys, smoked my very first T52 today and unfortunately didn't make it past the first third. I've never had an issue like this before so I thought I would see what you guys thought the issue might be. So I got a T52 toro in a trade about a month ago and have been dying to smoke it ever since, today was the day!! So here's the weird part, I cut it and the draw was perfect, lit it up and everything started great, but then about a half inch in I couldn't get anything out of it, the draw was still good, not plugged or anything, but it was like smoking an unlit cigar, absolutely nothing coming out of it!!! I kept puffing on it hoping something would change and unfortunately it did not. I was so disappointed cuz I was looking forward to this stick for like a month!! This is the very first issue I have had with any LP stick, mind you I haven't had a ton of em but have definitely smoked a bunch. This certainly won't deter me from any LP products but just thought I would tell you all about it and see what your thoughts were.
Nick and I have had this experience twice in the last year and I agree it is very strange. What is stranger is in both cases we dissected the cigar and keep in mind we dissect cigars nearly every single work day to inspect the bunch construction, internal burns, placement of the tips, etc. etc, and in the case of both of these two sticks we honestly could not see anything wrong with them postmortem. I know I have spoke to about 4 or 5 other "real" cigar makers (real = someone that actually inspects, ferments, buys tobacco, blends, and can construct a cigar themselves plus really runs a factory) and have gotten a variety of opinions, but ultimately in the end nothing conclusive. It is very aggravating to say the least.

Leatherman, please email at saka@drewestate.com, reference this thread, so I can get you the replacement smoke you deserve.

BR,

STS
Saka can you share with us what some of those opinions were? Although not conclusive they would be interesting to hear.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As have been mention most, the common consensus is a void being the culprit - basically an area where there is a gap in the leaf within the bunch so that the tobacco in front is burning, but the air pocket behind it prevent the tobacco behind it from catching and the air pocket serves as a barrier preventing the smoke from traveling rearward.

This problem occurs so rarely that many folks will never experience it in a lifetime of cigar smoking, so even cigar makers seldom see it... think about it, we smoke thousands of every year, inspect easily ten fold of that, and yet we have only seen it twice ourselves.

The problem for me with this void theory is that:

a) Both the cigars we dissected that exhibited this combusting fine, but no smoke come through the barrel issue did not have a void.

b) We we intentionally bunched some cigar with voids, we were unable to create this strange condition - rather we ended up with cigars that just ended up burning all wonky.

c) The physics of this theory just don't make sense to me - wouldn't the smoke just go past the air gap? Plus the truth is all cigars have voids, but when they are the right size we just call them channels. Because without gaps in the filler leafs the cigar would just be plugged... void is just a word we use when these gaps are too big.

I have my own theory: I believe there is some sort of small fissure or pin hole or thin spot in the wrapper/binder behind the burn point that is allowing fresh air behind the burn line to be drawn into the barrel of the cigar. This make sense to me as the fresh air intake behind the burn line would create a buffer to prevent the smoke traveling rearward yet let the smoke draw air into their mouths - and in both cases we experienced there was a small amount of smoke traveling to the head but just not what you would expect - I believe this is the result of the venturi effect, but since the fissure is so small it doesn't create the draft require to overcome the static head. This is what i am thinking... Next time this occurs I am going pay extra extra close attention to the wrapper and binder as I examine the cigar. In both of the cigars we dissected that exhibited this issue, we assumed it was a bunching issue and just tore into barrel construction without paying enough attention to possibly the wrapper/binder being the cause.

Hmm, I guess this theory is pretty easy to test out... going to go play.

BR,

STS

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
As have been mention most, the common consensus is a void being the culprit - basically an area where there is a gap in the leaf within the bunch so that the tobacco in front is burning, but the air pocket behind it prevent the tobacco behind it from catching and the air pocket serves as a barrier preventing the smoke from traveling rearward.

This problem occurs so rarely that many folks will never experience it in a lifetime of cigar smoking, so even cigar makers seldom see it... think about it, we smoke thousands of every year, inspect easily ten fold of that, and yet we have only seen it twice ourselves.

a) Both the cigars we dissected that exhibited this combusting fine, but no smoke come through the barrel issue did not have a void.

b) We we intentionally bunched some cigar with voids, we were unable to create this strange condition - rather we ended up with cigars that just ended up burning all wonky.

c) The physics of this theory just don't make sense to me - wouldn't the smoke just go past the air gap? Plus the truth is all cigars have voids, but when they are the right size we just call them channels. Because without gaps in the filler leafs the cigar would just be plugged... void is just a word we use when these gaps are too big.

I have my own theory: I believe there is some sort of small fissure or pin hole or thin spot in the wrapper/binder behind the burn point that is allowing fresh air behind the burn line to be drawn into the barrel of the cigar. This make sense to me as the fresh air intake behind the burn line would create a buffer to prevent the smoke traveling rearward yet let the smoke draw air into their mouths - and in both cases we experienced there was a small amount of smoke traveling to the head but just not what you would expect - I believe this is the result of the venturi effect, but since the fissure is so small it doesn't create the draft require to overcome the static head. This is what i am thinking... Next time this occurs I am going pay extra extra close attention to the wrapper and binder as I examine the cigar. In both of the cigars we dissected that exhibited this issue, we assumed it was a bunching issue and just tore into barrel construction without paying enough attention to possibly the wrapper/binder being the cause.

BR,

STS
Thanks! Hopefully you'll share the results of your experimentation!

Rating - 100%
50   0   0

BR,

STS
Saka, I think you're wrong....

I think the problem lies within several factors.

1) You only held flame to the cigar for 3.843 seconds. Everyone who smokes cigars knows that the flame must be in contact with the cigar for a MINIMUM 4.51353 seconds in order for proper lighting.
2) When smoking the cigars the amount of sucking pressure was probably closer to 4psi...this is not enough sucking power to keep the cigar lit, no matter how well its constructed.
3) I'm willing to bet that in all cases detailed the weather was somewhere between 40 and 60 degrees with a barometric pressure of 54 and it was raining in Seattle.
4) Finally, all cigars smoke perfect if you smoke them while wearing the same pair of boxers for two days straight.

On a real note... let us know your findings. I've never had this happen before. If its so rare though I probably wouldnt invest too much effort in trying to find out "why?" Just like when your wife is in the mood for some action....if its so rare does it really matter "why?"

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have had it happen once myself a long while back. I have no idea what caused it either but I was able to smoke through it so it wasn't a big deal. It is weird though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I am not expert, you can tell me I am flat out wrong, but could it be something as simple as a vein in the wrapper causing a small separation between it and the binder. Then when the cigar is drawn fresh air is pulled through the gap between binder and wrapper. It would be fully lit and you wouldn't get a lot of smoke because the fresh air has less resistance. Sorry if someone stated something like this before. Or like I said I could be totally making this up in my head.