What's new

Strep Throat & Cigars

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Okay, so not the prettiest subject, but....

I had a horrendous sore throat that started mid last week. Went to urgent care early Saturday morning because it hurt to swallow, and it even hurt to breathe.

Plus I am diabetic, so I am extra cautious when anything is out of the ordinary health-wise.

Doc said I had strep throat...I was given 2 shots (1 was a steroid to reduce swelling, and another was a pain killer), and a run of penicillin.

Although the pain is gone, I still have a mild sore throat. I am only half way through the meds, and again...Diabetics just don't heal fast.

Naturally I am impatient to feel better, AND get to some cigars that have been "piling up"!!

Anyone else have a bout with this strep throat crap?

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Sounds like it sucks. I haven't had strep in about 15 years, but I do have a pretty nice cold right now. My throat is just sore enough to be annoying and my stuffed up nose is starting to piss me off as well.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Wait until it goes away, your medicine is gone and then go ask your doctor. Yeah, I know he's a doctor and will most likely tell you that you shouldn't smoke at all but he should also tell you how long to wait before you start back up again. If he gave you antibiotics, it's important to finish all of them no matter if the throat feels better. Feeling better and cured are too different things.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Wait until it goes away, your medicine is gone and then go ask your doctor. Yeah, I know he's a doctor and will most likely tell you that you shouldn't smoke at all but he should also tell you how long to wait before you start back up again. If he gave you antibiotics, it's important to finish all of them no matter if the throat feels better. Feeling better and cured are too different things.
Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, I do know that taking the entire run of antibiotics is important so the body won't become resistant.

I am also just impatient by nature....:hanghead:

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There is no good way I can put this, but will put it out there, as when I am sick, I am sick, and aside from water and sleep nothing can help me. Nicotine from cigars only hurts the healing process, whenever I am sick I have no craving for a cigar, and science has proven that I should not smoke a cigar when I am sick, typically I wait out the entire sickness until I fire up again. I wait until I am 100 percent again to enjoy a cigar.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had it 3 times within a month....they tried penicillin first and 2 days after I finished the medication it came back. Then they tried a different antibiotic with the same result....then I had to take some new kind of antibiotic that cost something like 65 dollars that finally cured it. Strep is misery.

dougc905

Mostly pipes
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got strep then I feel for you. Used to get it regularly while I was going to school. I can't see how you'd even be interested in smoking! That would only make it worse!

Best wait until it clears up - then wait a bit longer.

I personally don't smoke at all when I am sick. My taste buds are ruined anyway. Why waste a good cigar?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I feel your pain. I am currently waiting to heal before I start smoking again too. Hopefully, it's just a cold, but no runny nose, just chest congestion and sore throat.

So when do you run out of meds?

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
nothing turns me into a baby like a sore throat. I have had one since mid week. I personally would not smoke cigars with strep.

montecristo#2

Don't Taze Me Bro
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often try to smoke when I am not feeling well and end up regretting it. I have yet to have a cigar taste good while I am sick. I usually end up putting them out before I get halfway through. Not worth it in the end.

At least they confirmed it was Strept and gave you some meds. I hate sore throats but it is worse when they are viral and you just have to wait for them to go away as there are no meds.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Yeah, I totally get that I can't smoke until I'm better...Not only will it hinder my recovery, but it will taste like sh*t!

I guess I was trying to see if strep was common amongst fellow cigar smokers

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I might be in the minority here but I HAVE smoked cigars with bad colds and sore throats, althought not Strep to be fair. I think I have only gone maybe two days in the last two years where I did not have a cigar, taking away the time spent for surguries. I had a really nasty cold/sore throat for about a week but I still needed that time with a cigar so I just fired up somethig light. I keep a box of Rocky Patel Edge Lights around for just such a bad occasion. I would fire it up and sit with it for awhile, taking in slow and shallow draws. It may have not been the best smoking experience but it took my craving away and I don't think I was any worse for the wear.
Either way I hope you feel better soon.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, I do know that taking the entire run of antibiotics is important so the body won't become resistant.

I am also just impatient by nature....:hanghead:
I'm impatient too. Even my dentist, who is also a friend and fellow cigar smoker, said after giving me a root canal and a temp crown:

"Now Pete, I'm supposed to tell you to not smoke anything for 24 hours but I know you too well. Can you at least give me 4 hours for the temp crown to set?"

I gave him the 4 hours, but at 4.5 hours I was lighting up a cigar on my porch. He laughed when I told him.

Hope you're feeling better....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Clint, my question is did you get a flu shot? I get it every year and if I do, I do not get strep. I skipped a year or two in the last 15 and got strep from years I missed the flu shot. Feel better, Jeff:wink:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Hey Clint, is today the big day to fire up a stick? Let us know when you do, and what it is.
I think by the end of the week I'll be good to toast! Throat is just slightly sore now (woo hoo!) and I still have some morning chest congestion, but it's not lingering.