What's new

stuck stem

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
One of my recent estate pipes has a stuck stem. It will turn but it will not back out any. I have tried the freezer trick but it still wouldn't come out. Any advice?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
My wager is that it is a threaded pipe, and you're not catching the 'threads' with your turns or the threaded portion is locked in and merely the stem is turning. Since you tried cold, I would move to gentle heat and see if you can loosen up the goo holding the threaded portion in place. With some constant tension on the stem, you may be able to get it to stick enough to twist the threaded portion out. Also since you'll be restoring it, perhaps some PB blaster or other penetrating oil will be of some assistance.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For the future when I have stems that are stuck I put a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol. A couple of times needed to dip a couple of times before it made a difference. Something to try anyway.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I encounter a stuck stem on an estate pipe, I clean the mouth piece in very warm water (hot water tends to yellow or oxidize vulcanite) and smoke a bowl. It usually loosens the tenon enough to remove it. I've had em break off in the shank and then it's on to Tim West!