What's new

Sultan Signature Review Thread

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Gotta say! Pretty excited about this one! I was very luckily chosen to be one of the reviewers of these three sticks. With the tough decision in front of me of which one to smoke first…I decided to use the only true way to pick which shall be first…reached in humi and picked one with eyes shut! So here we go!
Appearance: nice dark matte colored wrapper. Has a bit of a pig tail off the cap. Approximately 5.5”x52…plus…I cannot forget about the band…Ron Stacy Signature…who is this guy and how the hell did he get his own cigar line?:)
Pre-Light: I have to tell you that when I first open the USPS box they were in…there was no mistake that these bad little ladies were in the box! You could easily smell them right through the 5r bag! And they smell delicious. Unike any cigar before..much stronger! A lot like pipe tobacco fresh in the jar. Has a spice smell…and not like you are thinking…like rich nutmeg, cinnamon, and paprika…great! Pre-light draw has the same smell and favors…just outstanding.

1/3: First two puffs…not what I was expecting at all. The taste on my lips still gives me that nice sprice profile while the smoke is a nice light caramel flavor to it. As I continue to smoke a little bit of spice picks up on the tip of the tongue while the light caramel flavor continues. There is also a bit of light earth tones also to the cigar as of now. The smoke is extremely light and airy yet delivering great flavor profile.

2/3: The smoke is really billowing now! Still a light sweet taste to it but the tobacco flavor is the star right now. Just a nice rich tobacco flavor with under tones of caramel and nutmeg. The spice also continues to build with each puff. Overall a very nice relaxing cigar thus far!

3/3: I am getting that nice warm tea flavor again like in past Sultans. But this time it is much more flavorful and has much more body to it. Almost like a chia flavor to it. Very warming during this cold day. Really like any cigar I have smoked before…I smoked this baby down to the finger tips and the flavor stayed till the end. No harsh burn taste either.
I am not going to lie…when I smelt this stick I thought that the flavors were going to be a bit over whelming and strong…but it turned out to be a very nice well rounded stick. The flavor of the sweetness of the caramel and tobacco complimented each other very well. At the end the tea flavors were a nice surprise that left me with a great taste in my mouth when all said and done. So far out of the 3 I am going to have to say that B is the best cigar…but I have only smoke this one lol! Thanks again Ron! Cannot wait to try A and C!

Sorry about the shitty pics...I was on live chat with shawn and Justin and they would not leave me alone:)
Nick

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
First my apologies I suck at Reviews but Ferry & Yan wanted me to do them so here goes, First Thanks to the Star Ron for sending the sticks.

My first impression is these are beautiful cigars, nice dark rich wrappers, perfect feel no soft spots.

I do Love the band but have one major Complaint, They are called the Ron Stacy Signature series but I can barley see Ron's name, I believe this part Ron's name should be in a different color maybe Burgundy, dark brown or gold but something to let it stand out.

The cigar ain't it purty!!

See what I mean about not seeing Ron's name!

I used my Xkar and lightly cut the cap, Then slowly roasted the end and that's all she wrote it lit perfect and as I always like has lots of smoke.

My first taste was what I will call the Indonesian twang as I taste it in all Indonesian cigars to date, I can't put a finger on it as my palate in not as refined as some of yours but if I had to I would say a cross between a little cedar and just pure tobacco and I like it. As you can see it has nice firm gray ash!

I let the ash go about then because it always ends up on my lap :) I unlike the rest did not taste any changes in flavor but steady delicious pure Tobacco through out the whole cigar. There were no re lite or straightening of the burn as it was excellent all the way through.

As you can see on the last picture I nubbed it and only do so when I like it! I do not smoke what I do not like!

I thoroughly liked this cigar and felt a little buzz towards the end and my only complaint is I need to see Ron's name a little more prominently displayed and would like an autograph before it goes to his head and he starts charging for them. I was going to try and imitate his reviews with the glass's and hats but it just didn't look right LOL Oh and I did time this one One hour and fifty minutes on this bad boy!

Ron, Ferry and Yan another great cigar.

Thank You!

Dave

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Who said that you are suck in review?? We asked you to review because we know you can give us good inputs! :cbig:

Nice review, pics, and input! I will talk with Ron about it :) Good job Dave!

Ferry

CBC

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the pix. they do look quite good. the pic of the foot especially nice.
however, is an aged wrapper going to still contain much oil after drying and fermentation?
i say, simply, "no". i've heard mfrs. rub down sticks w/mineral oil and this one sure looks a little too...

Unc´tu`ous
a. 1. Of the nature or quality of an unguent or ointment; fatty; oily; greasy.

cigar painters i know of:
-rocky patel
-cao
-alec bradley
-oliva
...as i've taken them apart, proving it.

let's return to purchasing only real cigars, not "frankensteins"-all painted and flavored, like they're posing for 'us'.

cmon, peeps...keep it real.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Who said that you are suck in review?? We asked you to review because we know you can give us good inputs! :cbig:

Nice review, pics, and input! I will talk with Ron about it :) Good job Dave!

Ferry
Just me Ferry no one else LOL do you rub down your smokes as suggested above? It didn't look or feel any different than any other of any other brands. Great tasting and smoking cigar Bro!

Thanks

Dave

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
thanks for the pix. they do look quite good. the pic of the foot especially nice.
however, is an aged wrapper going to still contain much oil after drying and fermentation?
i say, simply, "no". i've heard mfrs. rub down sticks w/mineral oil and this one sure looks a little too...

Unc´tu`ous
a. 1. Of the nature or quality of an unguent or ointment; fatty; oily; greasy.

cigar painters i know of:
-rocky patel
-cao
-alec bradley
-oliva
...as i've taken them apart, proving it.

let's return to purchasing only real cigars, not "frankensteins"-all painted and flavored, like they're posing for 'us'.

cmon, peeps...keep it real.

Do you know this as a fact or going by the pics? Just curious as I happen to like Indonesian Cigars.

I did some rub off tests a few months ago like on the RP Decade and others you pointed out they did come off in my hand kinda yucky, I just tried it with one of these and it didn't? The cap was wet with my slobber :) also in my pics you can't see the foot?

so just curious? Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi CBC,

Thanks for stoping by and your good question. I realize some mfrs use "painting method" to get dark color wrapper, no doub it's an easy cheap short time way. You are right that wrapper with this method will get much oiled. I am not sure that the mfrs you mentioned using "bad method" on their cigar because i believe they are good cigar maker.

YES, I use MINERAL WATER, not MINERAL OIL in wrapping process. The wrapper must be watering/spraying by mineral water for getting moist for easy to get rolled. ( Please correction if i wrong )

I will explain in pictures of fermentation process and rolling process, my son Ferry will back home on November 10, he will take pictures and will post them in this thread. I hope picture can explain and answer your question.

A little explanation about the wrapper i used for sultan signature, i have a special method, something like steam method to speed up the fermentation, the method that usually used for pipe tobacco (sorry cannot explain more since it's my special method). This method cannot used for generally tobacco leaves, i use tobacco leaves that i call "a special tobacco leaves". This method need 4-5 months aging with "something like steam method". Some reviewers can recognize and smell it like a pipe tobacco. The leaves will produce natural oil by heating.

All i can say sultan signature is OUT OF PATTERN CIGAR. It's a special cigar or not is depend on you guys, i am just a common cigar maker. For me, sultan signature is a special cigar with out of pattern blending method that dedicated for my good friend, Ron, just it.

Sorry for my bad english, hope my explanation can answer question little bit. I promisse Ferry will post some picture of my cigar production process soon after november 10. (I am on the trip for cigar rolling event in Saigon, Vietnam)

P.S. Somebody please explain what the meaning of "frankenstain" cigar? Is it a slank word? Sorry can't understand.

Thanks for all brothers for the comment and review, i am waiting the result of your choice, which one will become sultan signature cigar.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks Yan
You explained just fine, you make a very good cigar brother! Thanks for taking the time to answer the question..

Dave

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Yan
You explained just fine, you make a very good cigar brother! Thanks for taking the time to answer the question..

Dave
I called Yan to give an answer since i don't have much knowledge in cigar processing, LOL

Glad you here Dave :)

Ferry

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I smoke what I like and thus far I've liked the Sultans I've had. I'm not the only one so they must be putting out a decent product. I know I certainly haven't had any issues with the wrapper on the Signature Series thus far. I certainly haven't read anything in the reviews that have been posted yet that would lead me to believe these have been dressed up any either. If you don't like them, don't buy them :dunno: (though I'd recommend giving them a shot first).

Dan

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Wow, this signature stick has me intrigued.

Nice reviews everybody; really well done!

Yan, your english is great! What comes through loud and clear is your sincerity and commitment to your cigars. That means a lot a to me and I am sure most of us on here.

Well done, good luck, and I promise to post a review when I get some signature.

Ron owes me, like, 5grand from a drunken night at the roulette tables in Vegas, which he probably doesn't even remember! :)

He was drunk and once he and Zilla start smoochin, well, forget it! :rofl: