What's new

Sumatra binder taste...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get a sour offputting (metallic?) taste from sumatra binder? I have been rolling cigars without a wrapper for my daily smokes. The ones I have rolled with a sumatra binder (without wrapper) just don't agree with my taste buds. Sadly, due to orders taking over a week and a half (still not shipped), the sumatra binder is all I have left. I have resorted to binding with T-13 for the most part.

I am going to roll a few today and put a nice wrapper on and see if I notice this further.

Thoughts?

-Rex

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The three main obvious possibilities:

1) That binder doesn't play right with the other leaf. Might play awesomely with different leaf.
2) Something else has gone wrong in those particular sticks. They could be sick. They could be too humid in some parts. That combo of leaf or that leaf alone could be more prone to sickness if you haven't dried these sticks for 1-2 months in lowish humidity.
3) The leaf ain't right.

A week and a half wait should not be causing you issues. Your timeframe is way too short for what's going on here.

Those are my thoughts. Worth what you paid, maybe.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Two weeks is about typical delivery for the jackwagons who run LO. They are lost in their own delusion about how the innerwebz operates, and are indignant to criticism. My last order from them was placed on May 17th, and arrived last Saturday the 30th. The Post Office required but 36 hours of that time. For good service, uise Whole Leaf Tobacco.

Indo baccy is oddball stuff. It can be hard to find anything it plays well with. If I understand you correctly, you do have another wrapper, yes? Use that for binder.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Two weeks is about typical delivery for the jackwagons who run LO. They are lost in their own delusion about how the innerwebz operates, and are indignant to criticism. My last order from them was placed on May 17th, and arrived last Saturday the 30th. The Post Office required but 36 hours of that time. For good service, uise Whole Leaf Tobacco.

Indo baccy is oddball stuff. It can be hard to find anything it plays well with. If I understand you correctly, you do have another wrapper, yes? Use that for binder.
I suspect that LO does what BrewinHooligan might call a metric shitton more orders than WLT on account of their offering 1/4lbs and a much bigger variety. I base this on two things: my daily interactions with other rollers via my social media, them telling me they are ordering quarter pounds; and the invoice numbers on my orders. I've placed four orders at LO over the last couple months, and based on the timing of the orders and the invoice#s, LO averages about 1200 orders a week. I think there's one or two people filling those orders, measuring out and packaging and processing those to-order quarter pounds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, on the first part. Lol! I just recieved a pound of Hab 2000 wrapper from WLT last Thursday (order placed same day as other). I will try that. WLT has been great for me, however, I wanted some leaf that they didn't have. I just finished rolling 6 with criollo 98 seco and and Nic Hab Viso. 2;1 for three, and 3:1 for three, with Sumatra binder. I just put them in the car to dry out for a couple hours. i will wrap them this evening and see what happens.

i will make 3-4 tomorrow and bind with the 2000 wrapper and see.

Rex

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some of that Sumatra binder from WL and I find it to be pretty transparent. I got it because the description says its neutral. On the other hand I've gone through 1lb of the Besuki from LO and I really like that stuff. I find it complements the visos that I like to use. Its different and I describe it as cooling, not just cool as in thumbs up cool, but it makes the mouth feel of the smoke actually cooler...or at least I feel like. Whatever it is, I like it and the different kind of sweetness that I get I perceive from it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some of that Sumatra binder from WL and I find it to be pretty transparent. I got it because the description says its neutral. On the other hand I've gone through 1lb of the Besuki from LO and I really like that stuff. I find it complements the visos that I like to use. Its different and I describe it as cooling, not just cool as in thumbs up cool, but it makes the mouth feel of the smoke actually cooler...or at least I feel like. Whatever it is, I like it and the different kind of sweetness that I get I perceive from it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I have read that as well about it being neutral. Maybe it was something else that I was experiencing. The sticks were only a couple days old, so I don't think sickness had anything to do with it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I suspect that LO does what BrewinHooligan might call a metric shitton more orders than WLT on account of their offering 1/4lbs and a much bigger variety. I base this on two things: my daily interactions with other rollers via my social media, them telling me they are ordering quarter pounds; and the invoice numbers on my orders. I've placed four orders at LO over the last couple months, and based on the timing of the orders and the invoice#s, LO averages about 1200 orders a week. I think there's one or two people filling those orders, measuring out and packaging and processing those to-order quarter pounds.

So let's say that you work as one of two LO order packers. To keep up with orders, you need to pack 100 orders today. Q: If you pack yesterday's orders today, how many orders do you have to pack? A: 100. Q: If you pack day before yesterday's orders, how many do you have to pack today? A: 100. Q: If you pack last week's orders, how many do you have to pack? A: 100. Q: If you pack last month's orders, how many do you have to pack today? A: 100. How can you reduce the amount of work you have to do each day? A: Piss off customers. Q: How can you increase the amount of work? A: Waste time having to prioritize by date. What if you only got 80 orders yesterday, but 120 today? Pack yesterday's orders, then start on today's.

It's never how long it takes to pack an order... It's how long it takes to get around to packing it. I can order that HumidiMeter we were talking about from Amazon today. It will be here day after tomorrow. How? They pack immediately. How many orders did Amazon get in the interim? A wholedamn gobblefusion of 'em. I can order that same HumidiMeter from an outfit calling itself Northwoods Humidors. I would bet you a fat man and his doughnut it will get shipped by end of day. How many orders did they get today? Prolly glad to see three, any given day. When? Now. That's how the innerwebz works.

To quote a famous sleeveless American: "Git 'er done!"

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I get an off-putting taste even from some highly-acclaimed boutique cigars that use sumatra as the binder. I've avoided sumatra for a couple years now, as I just don't like anything it's in.