What's new

Summer CCW tips/suggestions?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So I ended up buying a SW Shield 9 for my carry piece a few months ago and I like it. It shoots well and is comfortable. I can pocket carry it (in a holster) or run it in my IWB holster and its comfortable and easier on me overall than the Glock 19 (which I still love to shoot). With summer approaching Im starting to think about how to carry in shorts. The weight of the SW will become an issue. I dont have shorts with belt loops and most of my shorts are a rip stop cargo style for overall comfort. I also want to be able to carry when I walk or cycle.

So... I was thinking of downsizing for the summer months to something like a LCP2. It would also be a good option as a work carry since 1) Its frowned upon and 2) I may start a new job that requires me to go to customers homes (as an AV tech). That in itself presents a whole new set of conceal challenges and possibilities for self protection.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sig P938 here. I just use a small sticky holster and it fits great in my front right pocket. Even when I'm in a hurry I just throw it in there without the holster - with all the large phones you no longer have to worry about printing.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I carry a full sized gun year round, so this perplexes me.

Switch to shorts that have belt loops, or get a holster with a metal clip that can grab to any material. As always, Armiger Solutions and Dark Star Gear both make excellent choices for them. Good holsters make all the difference in both concealability and comfort.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I've read before that carrying is supposed to be more comforting than comfortable. You're going to have to find your level of comfort in between dressing around the gun and having something you will always carry. If you're comfortable carrying a lc then that's your call.

My comfort level with that would be pretty low. I think the shield is already a compromise. So I would be finding better shorts, a good belt and a iwb holster where my shield rides pretty deep.
Put a good shirt over that and you shouldn't have any issues.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What @Wasz said. I do have a first gen LCP, but don't carry it for the exact reasons he stated. I alternate between a XDS .45, and an M&P 9c for 95% of my carry. The LCP has found a home in my truck console for a last resort. A good gun belt makes all the difference in overall comfort of IWB carry.
Not to derail too much, but @mwlabel was doing some long term testing on deep carry holsters. What was the verdict on those?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
It's been said before, but I'm going to say it again. Buy so,e new shorts that have belt loops. 5-11 makes some great shorts that facilitate CCW. If your life not worth spending some money to buy new shorts, allowing you to carry the gun you enjoy carrying? If you don't want to us new shorts then buy an EDC bag.

I carry at least my Kimber Ultra Covert orUltra Raptor, unless I'm working. Both are 3" pistols. If I am working, I carry either my Kimber TLE or now my Springfield Armory TRP Operator. When I'm wearing shorts, I only wear 5-11 shorts, which allow me to conceal and carry extra magazines in my pockets. Yes, I always carry 3 extra magazines. Although retired law enforcement, I still train at least once a week and shoot about 100 to 200 rounds to stay sharp. My life and my family's life is worth it.

If I go for a fast walk with my dog, I at least will carry my Sig P238. Great little 380, which functions like my 1911s

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Not to derail too much, but @mwlabel was doing some long term testing on deep carry holsters. What was the verdict on those?
Well, those were specifically in the context of wearing a suit every day. But, the 100% tuckable Shield holster ended up being a real winner. If I didn't have to tuck in a dress shirt, it wouldn't be particularly great. I assume it would work even better with a polo (never tried it); but that attire starts to approach territory where something like the VS Ghost or Raven Vanguard could potentially work.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Buy shorts with belt loops.

So I ended up buying a SW Shield 9 for my carry piece a few months ago and I like it. It shoots well and is comfortable. I can pocket carry it (in a holster) or run it in my IWB holster and its comfortable and easier on me overall than the Glock 19 (which I still love to shoot). With summer approaching Im starting to think about how to carry in shorts. The weight of the SW will become an issue. I dont have shorts with belt loops and most of my shorts are a rip stop cargo style for overall comfort. I also want to be able to carry when I walk or cycle.

So... I was thinking of downsizing for the summer months to something like a LCP2. It would also be a good option as a work carry since 1) Its frowned upon and 2) I may start a new job that requires me to go to customers homes (as an AV tech). That in itself presents a whole new set of conceal challenges and possibilities for self protection.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
Carhartt shorts are excellent with very durable pockets that will easily hold the weight of your shield. I buy the heavier weight ones, but they appear to have them in ripstop as well.
http://www.carhartt.com/products/Ripstop-Work-Short-B357?s_kwcid=google!660207502!4759558!A_B357_DFE__32!74831892281&cid=google_pla_A_B357_DFE__32&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHmy6YC5P3JQZZ-TvJV3HePbGpjco7KGJqMVqW2Q4_9waAkN68P8HAQ