What's new

Sunday Brunch

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I'm smoking a turkey for tomorrow lunch with me mum and dad. Here's some pics of the process :roundtheh <<----- Finally! A the perfect chance to use that one.

Here's 'ol Tom lookin all fresh like with some brine and misc. ingredients in the background.

Here's Tom gettin all cleaned up in his brine bath where he'll remain until 3 am this morning when he gets put in the smoker.

And here he is all tucked in for his 15 hour slumber in the fridge.

We'll see more of Tom later on.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
:applause::drool::drool::drool::drool::applause:

I haven`t roasted a turkey in years. Smoking is the only way to go.
When friends make proclamations about the superiority of their deep fried birds, I just smile:cool:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Here's the bird all washed off and ready for his party in the hot box

Here's Tom after 3 hours

And after 6 hours

And this bird is done. Internal temp is up to about 169 deg F.

More pics of the carving to come.

And just for grins and giggles...here's my girls taking a surprise picture of themselves.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Here's the final product.

I got a little excited when it came time to carve this baby and totally forgot to take pictures, but rest assured, like anything worth eating, it was pink on the inside and very moist. :inlove:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That is a tasty-looking turkey ye've got there, mate! Bloody tasty-looking! And ye've got a very pretty wife and daughter. Looks like the day was good, oi?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I am asumming it was good the final product looked awsome.

Yep, it was good. It could have used another 8 hours of brine time. I usually brine for at least 24 hours; this one only got 17 hours and i believe i could taste a difference. When we ate it i said it wasn't as good as the last few i've done, but then a few hours later i sliced off a little piece and it tasted pretty damn good, if i do say so myself. My wife says i always sell myself short by not thinking things taste as good as they really do.

On a related note, i finally got the old fashioned wood fired smoker out this weekend. For the first fire up i made smoked pizza of all things. First time for that; been doing grilled pizza for a few years now, but not smoked. It was FANTASTIC!!!

Smoked the crust, brushed on a homemade balsamic vinegrette for the "sauce", fresh mozzerella, smoked roasted yellow pepper and onion, smoked sweet italian sausage, fresh roma tomatoes, parmesan. Put in the smoker til the cheese melted. drizzle with a little of the vinegrette and sprinkle fresh basil before serving. Phenomenal!

I'll have to do pics of that on the next go around, which will probably be this week...the wife is begging for more...pizza that is.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Yep, it was good. It could have used another 8 hours of brine time. I usually brine for at least 24 hours; this one only got 17 hours and i believe i could taste a difference. When we ate it i said it wasn't as good as the last few i've done, but then a few hours later i sliced off a little piece and it tasted pretty damn good, if i do say so myself. My wife says i always sell myself short by not thinking things taste as good as they really do.

On a related note, i finally got the old fashioned wood fired smoker out this weekend. For the first fire up i made smoked pizza of all things. First time for that; been doing grilled pizza for a few years now, but not smoked. It was FANTASTIC!!!

Smoked the crust, brushed on a homemade balsamic vinegrette for the "sauce", fresh mozzerella, smoked roasted yellow pepper and onion, smoked sweet italian sausage, fresh roma tomatoes, parmesan. Put in the smoker til the cheese melted. drizzle with a little of the vinegrette and sprinkle fresh basil before serving. Phenomenal!

I'll have to do pics of that on the next go around, which will probably be this week...the wife is begging for more...pizza that is.

I bet that was awsome! I do Grilled Pizza a bit in the summer.