What's new

Sutliff Molto Dolce - PToM, July 2014 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

SUTLIFF MOLTO DOLCE
Brand: Sutliff Tobacco Company
Blend Type: Aromatic
Contents: Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: Caramel, Honey, Vanilla
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: 1.50oz Tin

"Suffice it to say Molto Dolce is the Cream of the Crop. A rich and creamy texture of vanilla, caramel, and honey is applied to Burley, Virginia, and Black Cavendish."

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
it can smoke damp, so i recommend packing loose and adjusting as you go with the tamper. also, some may want to use some drying time. and, a warning; this stuff WILL make you want chocolate, or baked dessert goods.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Step #1: Open tin. The dog ran over thinking she hit pay dirt. Give me a spoon, and I'd eat the stuff.

Step #2: Determine dry time. My fingers are now sticky, and my phone is now smudged. Obscenities ensue when realize I got casing stain on my dress shirt from trying to brush off a few ribbons. The dog is gone.

Step 3: Following JJs advise for a loose pack, but my tongue is concerned that it will soon be reduced to a fine ash. We're both scared friends.

Step #4: Charring light, and it smells delicious. Now for the big light... *pop*. Wtf is this?! My pipe sounds like it's filled with rice crispy cereal.

Step #5: Let's see how this goes...

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Step #6: Nurse a bit of tongue bite and a damp bowl from tamping too hard. If you pack this a bit bit tight, it seems as though it doesn't like to stay lit.

Step #7: I forget how many times I've tried to light this stuff. Good thing hot relights taste like burnt marshmallow.

Step #8: Give up and try an again tomorrow. Hopefully someone posts some experience I can use as a plan of attack the next go around.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I got to smoke a couple bowls in a cob yesterday at twilight tunes (listening to an awesome band!). Heavy casing that popped a bit when lit. Easy light, easy to stay lit. Mine was not from a fresh tin, so I'd suggest some drying time. I got a lot of tobacco sweetness. My palate isn't refined enough to tell the difference between tobaccos, besides latakia. Once I got going, I got some intense honey and caramel flavors. I smoke at a good pace, but not super fast, so it stayed cool. Never got tongue bite. Every once in a while, I got a hint of vanilla, but it definitely isn't the main player. Had to relight halfway through, but that was only because I had to get up to get more beer. One of the better aros I've had, stronger than most fruity casings. If I smoked enough, this would be in my rotation. Hopefully, this will get me smoking regularly again. I'd rate it an 8. Solid aro, for sure.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Tin: caramel, vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, spices
Smoke: reminds me of a vanilla pastry or cookie. Smokes a little warm and I pack the cob light each time. I wouldn't advise smoking this in a briar unless you have an aro briar or a cheap one. Can only handle once or twice a week as I'm not an aro guy but nice change of pace and perfect if you have non-smoking company coming over.
Room note: best of any tobacco I've ever smoked wife loves it and so does everyone else
3.5 out of 5 stars

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

so, yeah, if you DON'T get "i just stepped into a dessert bakery" off the tin note or room note, you have no sense of smell. vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, and chocolate (although the last may just be me thinking i am burning a bowl of caramel brownies). the tobacco is a loose, very wet shag cut, and loads easily but dries poorly.

two bowls over the course of the day: newer Dr.G, not entirely broken in, and a pear wood Mr. Brog, both of which are dedicated as multitaskers, with little carry over ghosting if any.

on the light, this stuff sizzled like it was mad at you, which is NOT a promising start. then, with not too terribly much coaxing, it settled into an even burn, and you are smacked with the smell of baked goods. stomach-rumbling, distracting, desserty sweetness. honestly, more of this came through on the palate than with many aros i have burned. every once in a great while, you might get a taste of something resembling burley waaaaaay in the background. i did find that the flavors thinned, but they never bottomed out for me. the room note, however, stayed on for the entire performance. i only got a faint threat of tongue bite: i clench whenever possible, and being able to take shorter pulls more often suits this blend. that said, if you overwork it, or try and chase a dying burn, you're probably gonna get bit. not MacB bit, but bit nonetheless. as far as nicotine, hardly any. it wasn't flat, but if you can handle a tatuaje, you will barely feel it. unless you eat the tin.

(as an aside, PARENTAL ADVISORY: this shit really really does smell like candy, so PLEASE do not let the young'uns near the tin, especially with a spoon. safety first.)

the first bowl was actually lit last night. i had hoped the DGT on it would help the burn, but it didn't. second was just loaded and lit, albeit with a hiatus of three hours, owing to me having to return to work. in all, an average of 3 1/2 lights per bowl (mind, both were lit, allowed to die during work, and relit upon leaving). i HAVE burned this mixture to the heel in one before, but it took a significant amount of goaltending and concentration. know you are going to have to relight, and don't sweat that.

my take is, this is NOT a contemplative blend, or a front brain blend, or a comfort blend. this is not for seeking mysteries. it is not for testing your smoking technique. it is a snack food. it is something to fill time, or to share with friends. it is something to burn in mixed company. for me, i have an aro buddy, and i can share a bowl with him. we do fire pit nights, and the wives just adore this blend. it is fun, light hearted, and probably bad for you. just like a good dessert.

i will never cellar this, but i will and do keep a tin or two on hand. just for fun.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Finally got around to a bowl of this today. I'm 3/4 of the way through it and love it even more than I remember. Javajunkie describes it the best, I feel like I may need to get tested for diabetes if I smoke too much of this. My tin is almost a year old as it was in the first pipe/baccy order I ever made and has been open since then and still feels wet but at least it wasn't crackling and popping like it has in the past. My tin is almost empty and I am already planning to add some more to my next order because I love having this on hand and my buddies who come over for drinks like to smoke this more than they like cigars and due to the cost difference I am way ok with that.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I have a friend of mine who tried to steal my tin. Twice. He is not a cigar fan nor a fan of non aro baccys, so, to get him to smoke with me, I have to have this on hand for him.