What's new

T.V. recomendations

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Nice, mines OK it's just a regular TV. I'll pick up a nice HD unit when I move out

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yeah. I have to upgrade my cigar lounge TV The 42 inch lasma in the family room blows this old RCA away. Still works but...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research before buying anything. Try checking out CNET.com. They do reviews for technology in electronic print and video reviews. I would add look more toward LCD over Plasma. LCDs have better resolutions, are lighter and use less energy. They are cheaper per pixel than plasmas.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Hi E.S.

What are you watching that is in native 720p format? I am assuming you are talking HDTV. Most broadcasts are 1080i with FOX, ABC and ESPNHD being the only ones that I know of in native 720p format. If you are talking those channels I can agree there may be a difference but it would hardly be noticeable at all on the other channles on 2 perfectly calibrated TV's.

What HD do I watch? Uh, I dunno, the typical stuff I guess...I get these channels in my HD package:

ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, TNT, ESPN, Discovery Theater, INHD, HDNet

As for the difference that I see between 720p and 1080i, perhaps it would help if you understood the two very different types of sets I was comparing. The 1080i was a *TUBE* television, which as you know is natively an interlaced device. No matter what you feed it, everything it displayed was interlaced.

Now the 720p set is a DLP, a natively progressive-scan device. If you give it a 720p feed, it displays a progressive-scan 1280x720 image. But if you give it a 1080i feed, it deinterlaces it and downsamples it to (ta-da!) 1280x720 progressive scan.

If you don't believe me that there is a massive difference between the two, you're more than welcome to come over to my house; both sets are still in my living room sitting side-by-side, and the difference is staggering.

Plus, it'd be a helluva good excuse to smoke some kickass cigars. :smokingbo

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I don't know all the specs on my T.V. but I bought it over a year ago for a bargain price at the time. It's a 42 inch plasma made by Tatung (don't laugh). It was like 1200 bucks and this was March of 05. Excellent deal at the time. I love it. I enjoy the really large T.V.'s but mine is so easy to move around, it's great.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I don't know all the specs on my T.V. but I bought it over a year ago for a bargain price at the time. It's a 42 inch plasma made by Tatung (don't laugh). It was like 1200 bucks and this was March of 05. Excellent deal at the time. I love it. I enjoy the really large T.V.'s but mine is so easy to move around, it's great.
Love the one your with dude.:inlove:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I got an HD reeady 15 inch flat screen for the Smoke room for Xmas.
Sweet!!

Damn, nice deal!

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
OK Tripp, here are 2 guides that are very useful for research purposes. Skip the section on budget.....these days street prices are falling and your bound to get a good deal on the net or places like Best Buy can match prices these days from reputable webstores.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tips/731/how-to-buy-hdtv.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109.html?tag=tnav

A few things you'll definitely want in your next TV: 1) HDMI inputs (the more the better) 2) 8ms or less response time (>8ms results in a greater chance of having a smearing/pixelation/ghosting effect when it comes to fast moving action, basically the higher the response time the more visible image artifacts which is not good for video gaming) 3) user friendly remote 4) 16x9 WIDESCREEN which is what HDTV broadcasts in 5) 1080i or 1080p depending on your viewing distance.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Just a general comment but you usually save a lot by not getting the newest technology, but buy right below it for a lot less.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Too true Tom. Sometimes people get caught up in the hype when the newest thing may not be all that.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Some people just have to have the newest thing. That's fine but you end up wasting a lot of cash

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I am definitely not the kind of guy that has to have the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out...the prices ALWAYS drop...and quiclkly too.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Check "open" box items also..usually displays at much less $. Still get same Warranty as new.
A friend just got a great deal on a TV this way. The thing was brand new, just looked like someone bought it and then returned it.

I am definitely not the kind of guy that has to have the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out...the prices ALWAYS drop...and quiclkly too.
Yea, and significantly too

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Sometimes the open box thing sucks though.

When we bought our Mitsubishi I went with a return that was in the warehouse. The sale guys said it was in perfect condition.

Yeah right...the thing was all beat to shit.

Funny thing is though...I took the receipt to a competitor and told them my sales guy pissed me off, sort of true, and asked if they could match the price because I didn't want the original sales guy to get the comission.

They matched the price on a new one! :rofl: