What's new

Tabacconist University

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Gents

Has anyone used this site? I ask because as I have moved back to the Western NY area and there is not much here along the lines of cigars. I am not looking to open a lounge but that would be a dream come true. I am looking to enhance my knowledge more than I know now because of my passion. I have an idea of what I want to do but have to look into make sure I am taking all the proper steps. If anyone has any insite on this website/University please fill me in. To everyone at BOTL this community is unlike no other the ppl I have met online, to the brothers I have met in my travels. Everyone has been more than welcoming and very generous. Thanks everyone and if you have any knowledge of the Tobacconist University please feel free to put your input here. thanks again

Dustin App

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Are you asking about the actual certifications they offer? I honestly couldnt tell you if they are of any real value or not.. I dont work in the industry... and dont know if B&M owners, manufacturers, distributors, etc.. really care about any sort of formal education or not.. or if TU would even qualify...

That said, I've spent a good bit of time on the TU website.. and have learned a lot.. They have tons of information posted there on just about every aspect of the industry.. can cover everything from when the seed hits soil to when a stick gets sold across a retail counter.. I find TU to be an excellent (and free) resource..

Assuming the certifications actually bring value in the industry.. they dont seem to be too expensive.. it might be worth picking something up...

But if not.. there is a ton of free info out there that is easy to access (not just at TU.. but also other sites) to help you "get smart" on the industry...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hmmmm should have been more forward about my question I guess. but you nailed it. Yes I am asking about there certifications. they do have some great info on the site. Maybe to help me forward to opening my own lounge or just to help everyone find what they need. over the past couple of years I have met some amazing ppl and gained great contacts. where I am at location wise now there is not much around. Also would like to boost my knowledge in the industry

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I am a Certified Retail Tobacconist through the TU and currently finishing up my Certified Master Tobacconist with them. We have 9 CRT's at our business and I know some manufactures and retail shops encourage their employees to take part, if anything to help with their knowledge.

You can purchase the book from them and it is filled with a lot of great information regarding the history and the process of producing cigars. To be honest, the website contains a lot of the same information as the book and when taking the test it was a mix of the book and the website.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yo Dustin, as we say out here in San Diego, "Diem that Karp!"

If you don't have to squirt lime juice on any sensative tissues, what are you waiting for?

;)

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I am a Certified Retail Tobacconist through the TU and currently finishing up my Certified Master Tobacconist with them. We have 9 CRT's at our business and I know some manufactures and retail shops encourage their employees to take part, if anything to help with their knowledge.

You can purchase the book from them and it is filled with a lot of great information regarding the history and the process of producing cigars. To be honest, the website contains a lot of the same information as the book and when taking the test it was a mix of the book and the website.
That right there is a great answer. George A. The owner/director of the TU set up this as a means to have standardized training and certification of retailers. It's real. The book is a wealth of information for the consumer and retailer.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks everyone.. I am gonna probably go for the consumer cert as I am not currently working in the cigar retail business. but totally thinking about doing some consultant work some how. sean, I miss it out there and all its beauty. hope to get back some day that's for sure. Hope you and the crew are doing great. tell everyone I said hello. keep the comments coming guys

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Salesforce certified and I can tell you it's a great journey. It may not be the only education source, but walking into a retailer shop, you can truly note the better level of expertise and service that certified retailers offer. Jorge, the founder, has done an amazing job and got endorsement from the industry. Highly recommended.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I understand those questions but all it matters in to the cigar industry for me. And I am just hoping I can do what I want with it (ex. consultant) as far as accredited it looks very well that it is be backed by CRA and IPCPR. My next question for the ones that are already certified from what I am reading i can pick and CRT location to have them proctor my exam? is this correct?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
In our case, our Drew Estate reps is the one who administers the test. So we have to schedule when he is in town to have employees take it. Not sure how it works for other locations but it is my understanding that it must be administered by someone authorized by TU.