What's new

Tactical Humidor

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first humidor was a cedar box with a glass window ,it looked good but RH control was a PITA!!!
I was constantly juggling RH in this thing. after spending some time here it became clear that the old school type humidors were going extinct and tupperdors (did I spell that right?) and coolers and Bovidas were far superior and easer to deal with.
there's no way my wife would let me put Tupperware or coolers on shelves in the living room so i found an alternative.
I was at a gun show and found a small pelican case so cheap i had to buy it( yes its to small now) but it worked great the RH stayed constant,I will need to get a larger one soon.
I'm sure someone else has done this but i haven't seen any pelican cases on BOTL so this is mine

IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4606.JPGIMG_4605.JPG

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Shouldn't be a problem but if you travel you may wish to remove the tape. Change of altitude can be a real pain with those well sealed traveldors. Either let the case vent with the valve or bring a big screwdriver to use as a prybar!

yes ,I wasn't sure if that was going to be a problem so I placed some 3M electrical tape over the holes on the inside of the box

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
20191124_180033.jpg20191124_180150.jpg
ive had this guy for a bit. Pelican im2050 Storm. Use it as a traveldor, generally when I'm transferring greater amts of sticks from humi at home to restock the one at my lounge. I left my pressure valve alone and haven't had an issue, maybe because I have a layer of foam? Either way they are designed to be airtight and buoyant with abt a 9lbs load. Geat choice brother. Way to think "outside the box" :giggle:

Attachments

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I couldn't have been the first one to use Pelican cases for this purpose, that looks great
love the decal ,my son stuck the Microtech decal on it.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I knew I couldn't have been the first one to use Pelican cases for this purpose, that looks great
love the decal ,my son stuck the Microtech decal on it.
I dig it. Cudos on repurposing one from a gun show. Mine was a gift from a techy friend. These things can be expensive, and by the time you get into a price range of a couple hundred bucks for a large one, you can't go wrong with a Whynter 250ct fridgidor for abt $160. I have the larger model, and it's the best investment I've made for my precious sticks, hands down. Not exactly portable, but climate controlled, and with optional stainless accents and a few LED strips thrown in, it's fairly attractive. Happy hunting!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about that set up if you keep the cigars and 1911? in there for long periods of time. The reason is lead residue and toxic cleaning (Hoppes No.9) and lubricants (oil). There are non-toxic stuff out there like Frog Lub and a few others. Most of the chemicals still have odors that the cigars can pick up. Ignore if this was for show.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it. Cudos on repurposing one from a gun show. Mine was a gift from a techy friend. These things can be expensive, and by the time you get into a price range of a couple hundred bucks for a large one, you can't go wrong with a Whynter 250ct fridgidor for abt $160. I have the larger model, and it's the best investment I've made for my precious sticks, hands down. Not exactly portable, but climate controlled, and with optional stainless accents and a few LED strips thrown in, it's fairly attractive. Happy hunting!

I have been tempted by a wine fridge how ever we heat with wood in the winter and have a well insulated house so temperature doesn't seem to be a problem, my problem is RH and I haven't had to do ANYTHING sense switching to this set up.and they work without electricity ,i lived "off grid" for 20 years and non electric is still my default position
actually this has renewed my intreat in cigars due to the fact that it is so easy!!!!! ( I was getting kinda frustrated with my old set up)
eBay has great deals on Pelican cases in all sizes so I think that's the place to get these cases.
Im going to get a larger one and install one of those holders for Bovida packs in the lid and do my best to fill it up

@Angry Bill that looks like you are truly set up for all tactical emergencies :giggle:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm not sure about that set up if you keep the cigars and 1911? in there for long periods of time. The reason is lead residue and toxic cleaning (Hoppes No.9) and lubricants (oil). There are non-toxic stuff out there like Frog Lub and a few others. Most of the chemicals still have odors that the cigars can pick up. Ignore if this was for show.
:LOL:No the Beretta was a joke. I wouldnt dare keep my firearms in a humidified environment. You are absolutely right, CLP wouldn't be the best aroma for a stick to bask in.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Cool idea, but an igloo cooler holds more and can be had for ~$18 at wallyworld. Use one myself for overflow. Been 11 months on the same 5- 60gram bovedas. They're still squishy, so I'd say it holds humidity very well. To each his own...

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
As a related thought, pelican cases cost a ton more than they should. I mean, they're just plastic boxes. As an alternative, pick up a plano ammo can. They're usually under $10 and have a rubber seal. Should work great for a small collection or traveldor.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Harbor Freight carries a knock-off Pelican box in a variety of sizes. Much more reasonable cost. Has the pressure release valve too...

They have some on sale for black friday too...

Last edited: