What's new

Tactical Shotgun build

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I was bored at work today and as always, that's dangerous. I started to think of what project I'd like to work on next. Back home I have an Ovation electric acoustic guitar that I barely ever touched. When I'm home for Christmas I think I'll grab it and see what I can sell it for. It's absolutely mint condition and has a hard case, so I'm thinking somewhere around $500.

Now, with that $500 I think I want to build a tactical shotgun. I've looked at various Mossbergs and Remingtons and I really don't have a preference because they are both quality guns that throw lead. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- Used
- Pump
- 18'' barrel
- 20 gauge (so it's easy for the lady of the house to shoot)
- Recoil absorbing, adjustable AR-style stock (AR style for fun, recoil absorbing for the lady)
- Various fun upgrades over time that don't get in the way, but are still fun to add on

Any suggestions? I tried looking at budsgunshop and gunbroker but it's pretty hard to find a basic 18'' 20ga gun. At least, it is after a few beers...

How many of you have done a build similar to this? Any advice on where to start out? I'm wondering if it's easier to just buy a cheap 20ga then buy the barrel separate and go from there.

Thoughts?

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mossberg makes a decent tac shotgun its a 12 gauge though but for 500 bucks it has an ATI stock heat shield pistol grip 5 extra round on the stock and I believe comes with a D ring and sniper sling. I bought one haven't shot it in a long time but I have no complaints. For a female bird shot wouldn't be that bad.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Are you doing this just for fun, or you're trying to actually achieve a good HD weapon?
Well, both. Which is why I don't want to overload it too much with accessories that will ultimately get in the way if I ever had to use it in action. However, virtually any shotgun (or my 1911 for that matter) will do the job just fine. I could just buy a pump and call it a day but I figured while I have the time and money, I might as well add some fun stuff to the mix to enjoy at the range.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Excellent. Honestly, I'd save the money on the stock. Put it towards a surefire fore-end. Or maybe some other accessory that you're hoping to ultimately have in the long run. Even better, put the money aside and take both of you to a class that teaches both of you to run the weapon well under stress.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I had a little fun with a similar project a couple years ago. Used a Remington 870 platform with a few goodies for function and a few just to make it look a bit more terrifying. Of course nothing beats the universal "get the hell out of my house" sound of a pump shotgun.
I did the same thing with my 870 earlier this year. Pretty easy and fairly inexpensive vs buying a tact specific shotgun :thumbsup:

BTW - About 10 years ago, some broke into our house and as I walked down the stairs, I racked the shotgun...heard nothing but feet hauling ass out the back door. Dude jumped 15 feet off my deck!

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I looked around online and found a few forum posts where guys were able to order a smooth bore, 20 gauge, 18.5'' barrel directly from Mossberg for like $65. So I think that'll make my searching a lot easier since now I just need to find any nice used Mossberg 500 since I'll be able to buy all the rest of the parts as needed.

mwlabel - I've already been looking at reviews for the SureFire fore-end accessories. I can't wait to get something like that

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the shotgun, except I would say to use the mariner models. They're designed for saltwater exposure, so they don't rust, their actions are well made, and they look beast. Beyond that, unless your lady is 75 lbs, she can handle the 12. She just has to be trained on it, like was also suggested.

Also agree with the savign expense on stocks. Other than oooh factor, when showing friends how terrifying it is, it won't matter. Spend the money on the flashlight, but not so you can see where you are shooting, your eyes would be asjusted most likely anyway. The light is for disorienting the intruder and offering yourself the advantage. Think flashbang without the bang.

You come around the corner, hit your perp in the eyes with the light and rack the slide. He's now blind, doesn't know where you are in relation to the light, and knows he's got a shotgun pointed at him. Since the light is directional, you may experience some pain looking at the light, but you'll still be able to see. That's all the warning you'll need to have given him in the eyes of the law. If he stays, or moves in a threatening way, blast him once. Evaluate after he falls and if he's still a danger, hit him again.