What's new

Tailgating and Cigars!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Siglo IV.jpgcohiba 40th.jpg

The first one is a Siglo IV, and it was absolutely amazing, but what was even more amazing was the Cohiba 40th Gran Reserva! I cant begin to tell you how good this cigar was, it has to be one of my favorite Cubans I have smoked. I know a few people will probably say that they're fake, but I assure you of there authenticity, and it was also given to me by a good friend of mine that has supplied many of my past Cuban adventures. anyways, just wanted to share my excitement with everyone, let me know what you think.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
And whats the box code on that Siglo? I didnt realize those bands were out yet...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I would maybe believe a custom, but a Cohiba with those bands?
And I don't want you to think I'm just being a dick so a quick google of "barber pole cohiba" pulls up this article from Cigar Aficionado... read the 2nd page where it says:

"At one point, the editors called up the image of a Cohiba 40th Anniversary torpedo with a two-toned barber-pole style wrapper. Not only did the label on the cigar not exist, but Habanos has never created a barber-pole cigar."

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/15690/p/2

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would maybe believe a custom, but a Cohiba with those bands?
And I don't want you to think I'm just being a dick so a quick google of "barber pole cohiba" pulls up this article from Cigar Aficionado... read the 2nd page where it says:

"At one point, the editors called up the image of a Cohiba 40th Anniversary torpedo with a two-toned barber-pole style wrapper. Not only did the label on the cigar not exist, but Habanos has never created a barber-pole cigar."

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/15690/p/2
Well shit. I just checked pretty much everywhere I could and your right! Thank god I didn't try and pay for those, honestly they both tasted great, and I am no noob so idk what to think. Obviously the barber pole is fake. Now I'm wondering if the Siglo IV's are as well. I do think the cigars are both of Cuban tobacco but probably fake brand names, I've heard of them doing that plenty of times. Thanks for the save guys, maybe ill be more careful with who I trust.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would want to see both up close, but I don't know that they would have Cuban tobacco if they were fake. If you're making a fake cigar, why waste the cost to get Cuban tobacco? Especially if they're doing a barber pole setup that's clearly not a Cohiba.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Like AlohaStyle said, I'd need to see the box date on the Siglo, but if they aren't super recent (like later than August) they are likely fake as well.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would want to see both up close, but I don't know that they would have Cuban tobacco if they were fake. If you're making a fake cigar, why waste the cost to get Cuban tobacco? Especially if they're doing a barber pole setup that's clearly not a Cohiba.
Some of the Tobacco farmers in Cuba, who aren't associated with the big brands will grow tobacco there, and then ship it out of the country to the fake producers, its usually just the wrapper. You would ask yourself why they would do this, but it is so they can trick the more experienced smokers.

FC Cohiba.jpg

This is a clearer picture of one of the Cohiba's he gave me as well. He did mention that they were very new, but now im really having my doubts, what do yall think?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Well I give you a lot of credit for accepting our advice about the cigar being fake. A lot of people are too proud to admit they smoked or have a fake when people here bring it to their attention, so good for you wanting to seek out the truth rather than blindly believing.

Regarding that Siglo with the new band... if that came from the same guy that gave you the barber pole, that's all you should need to know. That band is brand new and I have yet to see anyone with those yet besides being on the Piramides Extra. But hey, someone has to be the first person getting the new bands. But do you really think it's from a guy that just pawned off a Cohiba barber pole as real?

And regarding your comment about cuban farmers that aren't connected to the big brands shipping off tobacco. That story is as bad as your barber pole fake. Firstly, cuban farmers have absolutely no control of what happens to their tobacco once it's grown and most definitely they are not connected with any brands. They have no idea what cigars their tobacco goes into. The best and most well-known farm (Robaina) in Cuba doesn't even know where their tobacco goes. Because of their fame and connections they have an idea, but they do not know for sure. Alejandro Robaina is the only farmer to ever have a cuban cigar named after him, but their tobacco probably doesn't even go in the Vegas Robaina cigars. The government literally comes in and takes their tobacco and that's the last the farmer sees and knows of it.

And cuban people cannot simply mail tobacco overseas... they can't simply go to the post office and mail off whatever they want. The Gov't controls EVERYTHING. It's definitely possible that there can be some rogue farmers who smuggle a bit of tobacco out, but that would be crazy to do so. The farmer has a certain "quota" of tobacco to grow and if they start smuggling a bunch out, there would be questions to answer about low harvest. What do you think would happen to someone that gets caught at the airport leaving Cuba with loose leaf tobacco in their bags? I can tell you it wouldn't be good. It's probably been tried/done, but I can't imagine that working out too well in the long run.

From everyone I have met related to cuban farms/tobacco, I have heard one story about anything tobacco related getting smuggled out. That was cuban tobacco seeds that can fit inside a pop bottle cap. It was very hush hush and the farmer in cuba risked a lot to get this out.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
That is a bummer, but like you said...It could have been worse!

The absolute rule of thumb with any Cuban cigar purchase is: know your source

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a bummer, but like you said...It could have been worse!

The absolute rule of thumb with any Cuban cigar purchase is: know your source
Well the thing is that we can never tell which is real and which is fake, we ran the serial on a box of San Cristobal's, and they were real. But others we have ran and they weren't, some he's given me are amazing and others taste like dirt. So I don't know what to think.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just because it's a fake doesn't entirely mean it's going to taste like a bundle of leaves.

That said, I'm not sure I would trust smoking a fake. Never know what you've got in there.