What's new

Take time to remember!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Today, as we spend time with our families and friends, we also need to take time to remember why this day is important. Memorial Day. It is a day to remember those men and women that have paid the ultimare sacrifice in protecting our freedom and keeping others safe, whether it is in the United States of America or across the globe.

I am sure that each of us have a family member, close friend or were in the military at one time or another. I served in the Marine Corps and still have a few friends that have made the Marine Corps their profession.

May God bless the men and women serving this nation and keep them safe. Thank you for your service, your dedication and your protection, so that we may all be free. Thank you to those that have died to keep us free. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I am very grateful of all my fellows brothers in arms sacrifices. Today I hold dear in my heart the individuals listed on the pages at the link. It still brings a tear to my eye to think that Tony is gone. Anyhow here's some good pages dedicated to fallen Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians. www.eodhero.com

Also here's a pretty good video from the memorial ceremony we hold every year.
http://my.fragweb.com/images/EOD2008.wmv

Last edited:

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Went to the local National Cemetary this morning to pay my respects to some old friends and say a couple of prayers for those in harms way today. Sunrise memorial was very moving and Taps sends chills down my spine and tears down my cheeks every year.

Until Nov. my brothers......Semper Fi.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
A sharp salute, to all that have served, with a painful smile of pride from undersanding the costs.

A deliberate glance to those who have served during war time, with welled up eyes unable to free themselves of a burden they have carried. Jaw locked in with the tension of having so much that needs to be said, but unable to find a start, so all that comes out is "Yea, I know." Painful heart that feels responsible despite reason, and forever incomplete.

Roll Call for those who wish to join in:

Cliff Garvin, WWII lost an arm in a tank battle, father of my wife. Cliff you have left one hell of a shadow for a man to try to fill, wish I'd met you.

John, Chris, Donald and FNG who died in Panama in 1989. Didn't really know any of you well, but everything changed that day.

Campos who went to shield and desert storm and came back a man whole on the outside, but unable to love again. He was homeless, jobless and divorced when he took his own life.

To everyone that got divorced, it seems like it was everybody.

To my good friend Tom, that deploys in September.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
To my father's father, my grandfather if you will, a man I never knew who made the ultimate sacrifice in WWII.

Also, this Memorial Day, as we honor all our soldiers that have made the ultimate sacrifice, and say a prayer for them, as well as all our troops here and abroad that have fought and still fight for our freedom.

God bless you all.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.
Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.
Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.
And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
God Bless ALL of our men and women that protect us from the enemy and provide us with our Freedom every day without tire.

Thank you!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Let me add a couple of names.

Lt. JG Laura (Berwager) Mankey was a classmate of mine at the University of San Diego. She was a hard-working student and always a pleasure to be around. She attended USD as part of the ROTC program with the aim of becoming a pilot, and ultimately hoped to become an astronaut. In January of 2007, the helicopter she was piloting went down off of the coast of San Diego. She left behind her husband of three years, Lt. Jeff Mankey.

Lt. Christian Hescock was also a classmate at USD. He served as a Navy rescue diver before attending USD on active duty. He was part of a small group with whom I spent most of my free time during the years at USD. I probably spent more weekends crashed on Christian's couch than at my own house! Christian wanted to fly helicopters, and he achieved that goal. In September of 2007, his helicopter crashed in Guam during a training exercise. He left behind his wife Ruth.

Here's to Laura and Christian and all the others who have sacrificed for our country.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Dad was a Marine...Brother retired Army...nephew 1 year into the Marines.

Excellent thread!