What's new

Taking your cigar collection across the border (into Canada)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So while I've been here in NYC, my cigar collection has grown substantially. I estimate I have about 250-300 cigars here.

I would like to bring them back with me, but I am wondering how that works.

Because it is my personal collection (ie, I'm not selling or gifting them away) are they still susceptible to the Canadian taxes?

I have purchased most of them here in the USA, but do not have receipts for them - I just didn't think to keep them.

Would I be taking a big risk bringing them across the border with me?

I will be traveling by GreyHound, if that makes any difference.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just don't declare them. If your collection's not conspicuous in any way, I wouldn't even bother telling customs agents you've got cigars with you. As far as I remember, your luggage isn't subject to searches or x-rays when traveling by bus.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The first google link that I clicked on, not sure if it's accurate:

Residents returning to Canada:

After 7 days absence...C$750
Tobacco...200 Cigarettes and 50 Cigars and 200g of Tobacco
Liquor....1.14 litres of liquor or 1.5 litres of wine.

Looks like you could be taxed if they find them, but not sure if that's accurate.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Also saw this:

Returning Canadian residents may bring in more than the personal allowances of tobacco listed above as long as you pay full duties, taxes and provincial or territorial fees on the extra. Canadian-made products marked "CANADA - DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITTÉ" are taken into account when customs officials calculate what you must pay.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well I've been here for 3 1/2 months so maybe that has bearing on it too?

I'd be worried about not declaring them, and then having my luggage searched.

They do search once in a while.

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It would cost you a small fortune to declare them. I suggest you declare only 50 and find another way to get the rest home.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It does not matter how long you have been there if you have over 50 cigars you can be taxed. I would never cross the border and not declare every cigar you have with you. If you are caught lying it could be really bad. They could a sieze all the cigars, fine you and put you into the system to get searched everytime you cross the boarder. All of that said I brought back 250 from the habanos festival and declared everything and was not charged any thing.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I fly into Canada sometimes 2-3 times a month and usually bring cigars with me half the time. Ive had them ask if I'm bringing tobacco products maybe 1/3 of the time. I just tell them I have a few cigars and no one has said anything to me.

AFAIK you don't need to declare them either - I think only if you are returning to the states and exceed the personal exemption. In fact I'm going to Winnipeg Monday with my travel humidor. Just leave the torch lighter behind.

Regards,
Randy

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I fly into Canada sometimes 2-3 times a month and usually bring cigars with me half the time. Ive had them ask if I'm bringing tobacco products maybe 1/3 of the time. I just tell them I have a few cigars and no one has said anything to me.

AFAIK you don't need to declare them either - I think only if you are returning to the states and exceed the personal exemption. In fact I'm going to Winnipeg Monday with my travel humidor. Just leave the torch lighter behind.

Regards,
Randy
Yeah you are right. The new customs form only asks are you over on your personal exemptions? Personally I take the risk and bring them with me but I am also always prepared to pay the taxes when I get home. Shipping them in would always be an option.

Posted via Mobile Device

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just brought 62 sticks back with me this weekend from the States, and never got asked once. I claimed $180 expendature, but that was it...and they were all packed in my carry on.