What's new

Talk to me about Boston

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm going to be in Boston between 4th-11th March, mainly to attend PAX East but also to do a bit of sightseeing and bar crawling. I'm also keen on the idea of going to a proper B&M for the first time, yes we have them in the UK but I have not won the lottery so there's no point in going in.

Just wanted to know if anyone could give any tips on good places to eat/drink, any good B&Ms, though I've read Boston isn't the most smoker friendly place, and must see attractions. We're already planning on doing the Freedom Trail (and we're going to try very hard not to do it wearing red) and probably tours of Fenway Park and the Sam Adams brewery, any other suggestions are most welcome.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
There is a whole area of restuants and bars called "Faneuil Hall"...ton of great places...one bar I definitely enjoyed was the black rose...don't remember the other places we went, but check out that area...Love Boston...strip club was no good, or so I was told

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There's a few really cool places in and around boston as far as B&M and cool things to do. LJ Peretti is a really cool shop and right on Boston Common. The theater district is right there as well. There's a bunch of cool bars and shops over by Berkley College of music as well. If I'm home and not on the road when you come I'm just south of Boston so perhaps we could meet up and I could show you some places. Boston is a great town!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Go to the North End (Boston's Little Italy). Quite charming. Quincy Market is fun for an hour or two.

For a nice stroll, walk from Quincy Market to the Public Garden and Boston Common, and then on down Newbury Street for shops and cafes.
Cambridge is a nice walking area too, with lots of pubs and cafes.

As to smoking, yeah, it's not great. There's a place in the North End that's been there forever called Stanza Dei Sigari -- I've never been. My old favorite, Cigar Masters, closed last year.

Early March? Could be very crappy weather, but you might get lucky ;)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Federal Cigar is a site sponsor and has 4 locations all about an hour away from Boston if you want to drive that far.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
Cigar and Lounge in watertown is pretty good too.
+1 for Cigar and Lounge. One of the most friendly places you will find to smoke cigaaahs (have to work that Boston accent) in the Boston area. It is small (fits maybe 25 people) but within a few minutes you can be "best friends" with everyone in the place if you like. C&L have a great selection of cigars and the owners, Demian and Big Mike are very knowledgeable and helpful. It's in Watertown, about 5 miles/15 minute drive from downtown Boston. I go there often.

As far as brewery tours, I would skip Sam Adams (which is not really brewed in Boston) and visit Harpoon Brewery instead. They hold Boston brewery license #1, and are down by the waterfront, and depending on the weather there is a nice walkway you can follow back into town along the water. You can keep drinking in the tap room after the tour.

Tons of food options, and the Open Table reviews are usually pretty accurate. You'll want to get fresh fish, chowdah, and lobstah of course.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
@mi000ke thanks for the info, had a look at the Harpoon website and passed it to my friends, looks good! Some good looking beers on tap there.

I'd love to be able to get to Federal but we don't have plans to get a car at present so it could be difficult. I'll definitely be hitting up Cigar and Lounge.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
@mi000ke thanks for the info, had a look at the Harpoon website and passed it to my friends, looks good! Some good looking beers on tap there.

I'd love to be able to get to Federal but we don't have plans to get a car at present so it could be difficult. I'll definitely be hitting up Cigar and Lounge.
how many of you will there be? If I'm around I can head up and fit like 4 more in my truck.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I'm gonna be there at the end of July. Gonna be my first trip to Boston. Wife and I are going to meet friends who live there, so we'll get to experience Boston the way the locals do, which is the way I like it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok you should go to Ruth's Chris Steak House on School St or Maggianos and follow it up with desert at Mikes Pastry.
Here the webpage for Maggianos http://www.maggianos.com/our-story
Honestly you will have a good time no matter where you go.
Oh medieval manor is fun to and they load you up with Beer and wine.