What's new

Tar build up

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I know there's a thread somewhere here but I can't find it. The last 5 or more cigars I've smoked are building tons of tar. I'm getting tired of this. The only thing that has changed is me smoking more. But I'm storing them better and cutting them the same way, straight cut.

At the middle point of the cigar usually I have to cut it again to remove the freaking tar. Help me out guys, I'm almost giving up on smoking for the next weeks or so till I get my palate back in place or something!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've never experienced this... what cigars did you smoke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Had this happen before started cutting off just a little more still not the whole cap obviously but about half way down, that and smoking slower helps a lot as well. Sometimes pulling too much can have that affect at least for me. Hope this helps Brotha.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Cut off a little more, or slow down on your puffs a bit.

Either can eliminate completely, or at the very least significantly reduce tar build up.

And don't forget to purge.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually I'd recommend a punch on all your cigars except a torpedo or belicoso. The punch keeps most of your slobber out of the stick and and keeps the tar on the inside. You'll occasionally find that draw warrants a straight cut, either on pre-light draw ( which normally indicates to me if it's tight to drybox for a couple of days ) or during smoketime you'll want to open draw up with a fuller cut. Most times though the punch is just great and it solves a whole lot of issues. Like bad cuts & tar output... On torpedos I use a dickmans cut (angled) and on beli's a straight cut. I think too much moisture on the tip opens up the veins in the tobacco allowing the tar to flow, I could be wrong on that though. Also humidity @ 65% or below is a good thing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I've never experienced this... what cigars did you smoke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
All of them.

Thanks guys. It would be weird if I smoked faster since I'm a really slow smoker, but I'll try to see if I changed my pace somehow. I'll smoke one and let you know...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
When I encounter tarring more frequently, there's usually some combination of a few common denominators that I've noticed:
-Humi RH running a little higher than I'm used to
-Smaller RG's
-Smoking faster than normal
-Smoking outside in summer - in high ambient humidity
-Neglecting to purge frequently

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I had this problem not to long ago and the only thing I could attribute it to was the cut (I was using a punch)and the fact that I may have been smoking too fast as it was cold at the time. I have not had any tar problems since I started making the right size cuts and smoking time appropriate cigars I have not had any issues.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
-Neglecting to purge frequently
What do you mean by that?
Blowing out through the cigar. I used to do it maybe once or twice when the cigar was getting a little bitter (pre-tarry bitter) or before setting it down for more than a couple minutes. Now, I try to purge no more than every couple inches of cigar....just seems to purify the flavors -- clears out stale smoke and there's a cooling factor by drawing air through the cigar without passing through the foot first.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall an old trick that if you blow out while lighting the foot you'll burn off the built up tar (you'll see flames shoot out of the foot as you continue to exhale). Not sure if this indeed true, but I will say in my experience the bitterness does seem to subside after doing this.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents... How does one know they are having tar issues? Perhaps a dumb question but I'd hate to think I am smoking tar unknowingly. Taste? Visual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Gents... How does one know they are having tar issues? Perhaps a dumb question but I'd hate to think I am smoking tar unknowingly. Taste? Visual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both, you can taste a terrible bitter taste and it will get on your lips and is visible on the mouth end of a cigar as it builds up as a sticky brown residue.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Happens to me a lot in the winter months here in NE when it is dry. Now so humid my sticks keeps expanding and exploding. Why so I live here ? :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you purge and light the smoke as you do so , what the heck is going on that makes the smoke so flammable ?