What's new

Taste Bud Sick Period?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got a question from MangoMike that sparked a good idea for a thread. Have you experienced a time where cigars just tasted terrible to you? Was there a time when good cigar after good cigar just tasted nasty? I know that I have had those "sick periods" that I knew were not cigar related. I would have to assume others have experienced this phenomenon. I didn't know how to answer Mike's question except to give theories.

TBSP (Taste Bud Sick Period) obviously made up by me

The following are just possible theories.

1) Tobacco changes ph, environmental, and nutritional supply of bacteria. Different bacteria become dominate. These bacteria produce a more acidic or bitter tasting waste products.

Solution: Daily tongue scraping, daily floss, antibacterial toothpaste and a serious mouthwash.

2) Dietary changes: things you have been eating have been affecting your taste.

Solution: Change your diet, figure out what foods screw up your palate

3) Inflammation of taste buds: Chronic smoking can inflame taste buds and distort taste.

Solution: Take a break

4) Sickness: Sinus infections or infections of any kind can distort cigar taste.

Solution: get yourself better

My solution to TBSP when it crosses my way. I become more vigilant in my dental hygiene, look at what I'm eating, rest my palate for 3-5 days, and make sure that sickness is not a cause.

If you have experienced this and have some theories and or solutions I would love to hear them.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea... it can also be due attributed to the fact that you are constantly (when smoking) bringing in a foreign substance that is of a higher temperature than you normally would be bringing into your mouth...

and rest or a break from smoking is the best way to cure it, whether it is a sick period or just a cold..

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
The only thing that has really caused this for me is eating something and the taste of the food affecting the taste of the cigar.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks Shawn, you said that so much better than I would have. Good set of ideas too. I don't think it's an illness, feel great, everything is fine. Could be diet, but that hasn't changed.

Must be the taste buds. As much as I hate too I'm going to lay off for awhile, at least a couple of days. I mentioned this in the Chat Room and Derek said he'd experienced it, and he layed off smoking for a couple of weeks. Wow, don't know that I can do that. But, if every cigar tastes like shit, who wants to smoke.

This should be an interesting thread to follow....

Mike

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
cvm4 said:
The only thing that has really caused this for me is eating something and the taste of the food affecting the taste of the cigar.
Cliff, That's because you smoke only macanudo's all day!!! Start smoking something real and you may be able to relate!!! :thumbsup:

For me its usually when I smoke way too much and I know the taste buds are a bit to toasted. A nice week or so break always cures that. Plus, with a break, when I spark up again I can start mild and appreciate them before I need the heavier smokes.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
ohpus said:
Cliff, That's because you smoke only macanudo's all day!!! Start smoking something real and you may be able to relate!!! :thumbsup:
:rofl: It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. No but seriously, I only smoke a couple a week so my taste buds really don't burn out on cigars too often.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
cvm4 said:
Same here. The other case is if I smoke a lot of cigars in one day and the taste buds are shot

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That happened to me recently. A combination of taking a break and then smoking cigars that were different from my usuals worked.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I think it also includes environmental factors. As an example on my last trip I took what I knew where very good cigars. I usually have a cigar after lunch and one after dinner. Maybe one for the road driving to or from work occasionally. The time was spent in meetings all day so I was really looking forward to a VR after a nice steak dinner. No smoking in the hotel, lobby or lounge so I went outside and sat on the damn curb. Cigar tasted awful. Next day same thing. Lots of stress and then uncomfortable smoking setting. When I flew home and gotin my car, I lit up the same cigar, wonderful. I think the setting really makes a difference as well as the food factors. 2 cents

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I smoke cigars and a pipe I also occasionally burn my mouth from the pipe and sometimes from nubbing a cigar...this is about the worst it's ever gotten for me and there is a solution...using a tongue scraper helps, but best by far is adding this item to your routine...aloe juice...the best to get is Lily of the Desert....no additives, no flavors, no coloring, nothing but 100% aloe juice...smallest size is about 8 ounces and can be had at Whole Foods or I suppose just about any health food store...but, don't drink it as it tastes vile ...it does however make a great mouth rinse...I use about an ounce at a time, and swish it around for about 60 seconds before spitting it out...that way you don't get much of a taste and it goes a long way toward healing and freshening your mouth...

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
the only time i have a problem with a good cigar tasting bad is after i smoke more than 2-3 a day. if i hit 3 in a 12-20 hr period my taste buds are shot for close to a week.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
kirscovitch said:
the only time i have a problem with a good cigar tasting bad is after i smoke more than 2-3 a day. if i hit 3 in a 12-20 hr period my taste buds are shot for close to a week.

Then you sure as hell can't hang with me on a cruise! Yeah, I was burnt after the cruise, though!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
smokem94 said:
Lot's of good advice but this is what works for me..............scrape your tongue by going down on your wife or significant other, then gargle with and swallow Crown Royal!!!!:drool: :rofl:

crown royal?? my taste buds would be shot for a month!! :rolling:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
smokem94 said:
Lot's of good advice but this is what works for me..............scrape your tongue by going down on your wife or significant other, then gargle with and swallow Crown Royal!!!!:drool: :rofl:
Nightly practice for me...:razz: But substitute Bushmill's.:clap:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
smokem94 said:
That's some good advice!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I got a question from MangoMike that sparked a good idea for a thread. Have you experienced a time where cigars just tasted terrible to you? Was there a time when good cigar after good cigar just tasted nasty? I know that I have had those "sick periods" that I knew were not cigar related. I would have to assume others have experienced this phenomenon. I didn't know how to answer Mike's question except to give theories.

TBSP (Taste Bud Sick Period) obviously made up by me

The following are just possible theories.

1) Tobacco changes ph, environmental, and nutritional supply of bacteria. Different bacteria become dominate. These bacteria produce a more acidic or bitter tasting waste products.

Solution: Daily tongue scraping, daily floss, antibacterial toothpaste and a serious mouthwash.

2) Dietary changes: things you have been eating have been affecting your taste.

Solution: Change your diet, figure out what foods screw up your palate

3) Inflammation of taste buds: Chronic smoking can inflame taste buds and distort taste.

Solution: Take a break

4) Sickness: Sinus infections or infections of any kind can distort cigar taste.

Solution: get yourself better

My solution to TBSP when it crosses my way. I become more vigilant in my dental hygiene, look at what I'm eating, rest my palate for 3-5 days, and make sure that sickness is not a cause.

If you have experienced this and have some theories and or solutions I would love to hear them.
Like most, I have experienced this TBSP as well.

In my experience it seems to be from a combination of #1 and #3.

A good tongue scraper works wonders (my Dad suggested it and it really works).

No matter what the source a good break is all it really takes...no biggie IMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a tongue scraper, your toothbrush will do, after you brush your teeth, rinse the brush, get a small glass with mouthwash, dip it in for about 10 seconds.

Then, scrub the heck out of your tongue with a forward motion. Get as far back as possible. After you're satisfied, rinse the brush in water, then soak in mouthwash for about 30 sec.

This does the trick. I came back from a cruise recently. Between switching out h.upmann, cohiba, and monte's (two per night) my tastebuds were taking a beating, but this did help immensly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst thing is when you smoke a bad cigar- there is nothing to do to get the taste completely out of your mouth and any cigar you smoke after then that day will be a waste! Only time will fix this tragedy.