What's new

Taste Test #3 SLR PC AEP JUL 06

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Reviewer #1

Things have been rather hectic lately but I was looking forward to reviewing the third cigar in our blind taste test. Initial appearance of the cigar is that of a rough light brown (claro) wrapper that exhibited a slight tooth. There were some spots of green on the wrapper and the triple cap was barely noticeable. One of the caps almost looked candela. Inspecting the foot reveals a good bunching and the draw was perfect as expected.

The first third of the cigar was all wood and leather. There are lots of dry grass mixed in. Rather one dimensional through to the second third. I know this flavor profile. I just can't put my finger on it quite yet. The cigar emits wisps of wonderful blue smoke. The gray, mottled ash is tight and holds on for a good two inches. The burn ring was tight and even signifying age. After studying the ash and burn ring, I'm beginning to think this cigar is from '98 or '99.

The final third is more of the same except there is a creaminess that sets in. The strength was never there so I'd categorize this as a rather mild cigar. While not the most complex cigar, I could see smoking this after breakfast with coffee. Not one of my favorites but a decent cigar nonetheless. I paired this cigar with a bottle of ice cold Coke.

I know I've had this cigar profile before but it's tough to pinpoint. The wood, leather, cream and dried grass profile is reminiscent of a Veguero yet my mind wants to say it's an ERdM. Therfore, my guess would be a Veguero mareva from '98 or '99.

Reviewer #2
Cigar is dry looking, firm and light in color. Prelite is wood and tobacco.

Cigar starts woody/cedar with plenty of smoke. Near the end of this third a little peppery spice comes through.

The second third starts right where the first third left off, cedar and spice. The strenghth is just shy of medium. At the half way point it is leather and salty

The final third is more of the same leather and spice with a woody undertone. A good cigar that never seemed to fully come to life, probably an 07 or 08. I think these will age into a much better smoke.

Sancho Panza Non Plus 07. Rate it an 85

Reviewer #3
Very nice looking stick here. Nice slightly toothy light wrapper with a tint of green. The well constructed tripple cap cut very nicely. Predraw was a little tight but nice taste of cedar an nut.

Lit right up. Nice firm draw with plenty of smoke. Leather and cedar with a slight nutty taste. First half was very well balanced. As was very nice dark to light marble like look with speckles all over it. Could this be plume? Held on til the half way point.

The second half picked up quite nicely with pepper and leather. Nut taste got a little deeper maybe some dark chocolate hints there. Took it to the nub.

I would put this at about a 92.5.

My guess: Sanch Panza Non Plus

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Reviewer #4
Appearance: This cigar has a very light sand stone colored wrapper. Looks a little on the rough side. Nice looking triple cap. Cigar is round with no box press.

Construction: No soft spots or lumps on the cigar. Cut nice and even with my Xiker cutter.

Drink: Thomas Kemper root beer from the cigar lounge.

Pre light: This cigar has a very easy draw with no resistance. I get a tobacco flavors from it.

1/3: This cigar took lit evenly and and has a perfect draw. I get flavors of rich spice, strong tobacco and some earthyness.

2/3: This cigar is still burning and smoking well. The spice has mellowed out just a tad but the eartyness is still there. It holds a nice ash dark grey ash for a good 1 1/2 before it wants to fall off.

3/3: The cigar is still has lot's of tobacco, earthy spicy flavors and now I can detect a hint of cocoa as well. This cigar burns excellent and never had to be touched up. Perfect draw as well. All the way through to the end.

Final thoughts: This is a great full bodied cigar that isn't overpowering. Lot's of earthy, spicy. flavors throughout. One of the best burning PC's I've smoked in a while. I would recomend this cigar for people who enjoy this profile. But it's probably not a good recomendation for a rookie lightweight or for a first ever cigar to smoke.

Guess: I believe that this is a Bolivar Petit Corona from a cabine, and probably has 2 or 3 years on it.

Score: A solid 87 with potentual to get even better in time

Reviewer #5

Description: #3 cigar is a pretty smoke! 5”ish x 42ish. Light brown wrapper with minimal smooth veins. Easy clip giving a pre-lit draw of, well, nothing much. It did have a flawless draw. Easy light, giving me, again, nothing much. Very mild,,,, I’d almost consider it weak out the gate. It produced a reasonable amount of smoke. Just not too much in the flavor category. No aftertaste to speak of….

Around till the 2/3 mark, a woodsy flavor became apparent and the aftertaste picked up a tad. That was about it! Its strength garnered a “medium” at best toward the end.

No problem with the burn, and the ash was on the flaky side. It lasted about 30 minutes.

Verdict: It wasn’t a bad cigar. I was just never impressed with it. I have no guess, as I have no idea!

Reviewr #6

Looks very nice in the hand and has a good solid feel to me. I love cigars with this chocolate shade to it and the slightest bit of sheen. It's been dry-boxed for a day or so and looks ready to smoke.
The cut reveals my worst fears. PLUG! Damn. I seem to be having the worst of luck with cigars recently. Its unfortunate but I just can't review this beautiful cigar.
Rating: N/A
Guess: N/A