What's new

Taste Test #4 PLPC JUL 02

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Reviewer #1

The appearance of blind cigar #4 is that of a toothy, very light brown wrapper. There were some visible sun spots on the wrapper. The smell at cold was faint and that of a floral bouquet. After clipping the cigar, I tested the draw which was decent. Unfortunately, that's where the positives ended.

I honestly couldn't get past the halfway mark on this cigar. The first third of the cigar was rough and unadulterated. There are lots of vegetal and herbal flavors mixed in. Very one dimensional. I'm really not feeling this cigar. The gray, mottled ash is tight and the burn is relatively even. At the halfway mark, I had to put this cigar down. I almost began to wonder if this was a machine made. I paired this cigar with Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee.

This cigar was tough to pinpoint since I didn't really enjoy it and couldn't get past the halfway mark. The herbal and vegetal profile is reminiscent of a Veguero or maybe a Juan Lopez?

Reviewer #2

A dull looking cigar, solid with a good pre-lite draw.

The cigars starts floral and spicy with a semi-sweet touch. It is mild-med and produces loads of smoke.

The second third is cocoa and coffee with that semi-sweet flavor in the background. The strength has built to medium and it is burning straight as a string. The spice is coming back and tingling the tongue.

The final third is sweet tobacco and peppery spice it is med-full in strength and a great cigar. I nubbed it.

When I first started I thought the was my PLPC but it is stronger and spicier than I remember. Not a Partagas spice nor a Bolivar, I'm a PC lover and have smoked most brands but I'm not sure on this one. I rate it a solid 90 and will go with PLPC from 02

Reviewer #4

Appearance: This cigar has a nice chocolate colored colorado claro wrapper. With a little toothyness to it and a box press. Classic petit corona size 5 1/8 X 42.

Construction: This cigar is well contructed with a no soft spots or any lumps. Plugged this cigar and it took a perfect plug.

Drink: Thomas Kemper root beer from the cigar lounge.

Pre light: Did a pre light draw and this cigar drew well. Got a flavor of coffee/tobacco. Really looking forward to firing this cigar up.

1/3: Tourched this cigar with my Zippo and it took right off. I get flavors of Coffee and cocoa. So far very nice mild to meduim in strength but has lot's of good flavor.

2/3: More of the same cocoa, coffee but now I also detect some sweet vanilla bean like flavors as well. So far this cigar is drawing and burning well.

3/3: The cocoa, coffee and bean like flavors started to fade toward the last inch or so of this cigar and now I get an herbal like flavor out of it with some toastyness. Smoked this cigar down to the nub with no re-lights of and draw issues.

Final thoughts: This is a very good cigar for beginers, to gift to a friend who smokes an occasional cigar or add to your rotation when you are not in the mood for a full bodied smoke or start out the morning with. I really like this cigar and when someone asks for a good chocolate/cocoa like flavored cigar. I would highly recomend this one.

Score: I give this cigar a score of 88.

Guess: This cigar reminds me of a good Rafael Gonzalez petit corona

Reviewer #5

Description: #4 cigar has a cinnamon wrapper that was quite lumpy. In fact, it appeared as if stems were really trying to poke out. 5 x 42. Easy clip giving a pre-lit draw of pronounced black pepper. It had an airy draw; a tad too much for my liking. Easy light, producing a great deal of smoke.

The first 1/3, the pepper taste was minimal and a great earthy tobacco flavor took front seat. Around the 2/3 mark, a woodsy and leather flavor took over. Man, this one taste very good! This lasted till the end, and I got all I could out of it. I’d rate it at a “medium-full” at its peak. The best part of this cigar was the lingering looooong aftertaste! Mmmmm-mmmm good!!

It had a very erratic burn, though it didn’t need any touch-ups. It produced a thick and sturdy ash. The smoke lasted about 30 minutes, and I wish it lasted longer!

Verdict: I like it! I like it a lot!! I guess Bolivar.

Reviewer #6

Here's another cigar I was dissapointed after smoking but for a completely different reason than before. I smoked this cigar when mowing the lawn when I returned from my cruise. Immediately after lighting up I knew I was WAY out of my league for a lawn mowing cigar. Usually I'm ok reviewing a cigar outside because I have a very difficult time detecting room aroma of a cigar I am smoking but this time was different. Within the first three puffs I was SURE this cigar was, 3 different times. I repeat, each of the first three puffs was 100% spot on for 3 different cigars. Amazingly complex. I could have sworn it immediately was a RA PC, than I KNEW it was a Le Hoyo du Prince (that's the 40rg le hoyo, right?) and after the 3rd drag I would have bet it was a Partagas PC.

The 2nd third brought on some minor earth flavors and a nice sweetness. Dare I say that the cigar reminded me of an SLR? How many more Marcas can I taste in the first 2" of a PC?! A minor growth of strength progressed throughout this third and came in the form of a pleasant pepper taste.

The final third brought on a growth of the pepper taste and a reemergence of the early earthy and nutty flavors that were noted. There were some hints of that "special" partagas blend that exists in limited runs and humidor cigars. Exotic spice and a minor bready taste. Yum

All in all this cigar resembled most of the savory tobacco based cigar blends available in Cuba other than VR. Based on the feel of the cigar in my hand prior to lighting and the complexity and developed strength the cigar exhibited, I'd say it had some age to it. The blend is what really threw me. It was definately based on a tobacco foundation of flavors and the predominent taste on top of that was pepper. What that means to me is that this was a Partagas PC from 1999. Hope I'm right!

I'd like to add that I'd rate this cigar a solid 90

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Did reviewer No.2 nail this one, or did he provide the cigars?

Great job guys!
He provided the cigars and since we were running out of cigars I guessed right. I have/had 2 left and am smoking one right now, it does not seem as spicy and is more creamy. The coffee, cocoa and floral notes are there but no caramel that these are famous for, it does a have sweetness.

Varied reviews with lots of differences but it rated well.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
NOT in a million years would I have guessed that this was a Por Larrannaga. Great cigar, great experience. I wish I had a box.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
NOT in a million years would I have guessed that this was a Por Larrannaga. Great cigar, great experience. I wish I had a box.
Me niether except the dull wrapper and the lack of cigars left. This box was El Dentes and I didn't care for them when I got them in 2003-04. I gifted, traded most but put 10 in a ziplock and forgot about them until this tasting. I would lean towards an RA PC looking back but as stated above the dull wrapper is the main reason for my guess. I targeted this one when I received these cigars as mine along with #3 the SLR.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
OMG, '04 PLPC's specifically KMM NOV04 are like candy canes. I'm honestly shocked this was a PLPC. My taste buds must have been way off or I got the stick closest to El Dentes nasty wet foam packaging.

If this was a PLPC from '04, then something was definitely wrong with my taste buds.
I guess the fact that I came down with a sinus infection a few days later might have been an indication.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I agree with ya Shane, the 04 with the KMM all I tried were also wonderful smokes and did have the caramel flavor with nice spice and sweetness. The year on these say 2002, I never heard of PL PC from 02.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
While I didn't guess it right my second guess would have probably been PLPC. I recently smoked a regional release PL and it had a very similiar profile to it.

So far the last 2 PL I've smoked have been very good. I may need to look into this line some more. In the past I was never that impressed with them. So I'm glad to have had the opertunity to give them another try.

Now I look forward to cigar #5