What's new

....Tasted like flour

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So after lots of great reviews and comments, I got a 4-pack of Cromagnon Mode 5 from Small Batch Cigars. (Great service, BTW....Carefully packaged and shipped immediately with a cutter)

The ones I got were not nearly as oily as all the ones I've seen, and I did smoke one ROTT, so I need to have a few more before coming to any conclusions...

It smoked well, with nice construction. Kept trying to identify the core note throughout, and it dawned on me halfway through that it tasted almost exactly like flour! Not necessarliy a bad thing, just different. Other notes popped in and out...Chocolate, espresso, pepper....good stuff.

Need to smoke the others :)

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Interesting man! Thanks for sharing and keep us updated after they get some time on them. Maybe after some time and baking at 350 they'll taste like cookies? ;-) hehe

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Maybe it was a chalkyness that you tasted. I get unsweetened bakers chocolate which tends to be chalky, dry, bitter, floral and some dark stone fruit for a core flavor. As well as espresso and pepper to round out the profile.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I am immune to the smell and taste of flour (work in a bakery) but ill have to smoke another and hunt that taste down. Love the mode 5s. Cromagnon is the best one imho lol

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Flour, that's interesting Clint. I've smoked a few of these. I love Roma, and have a local BM that has all of them. The mode 5 was not one of my favorites, but the few I smoked I remember more of a earthy, chocolate, profile. With a plum like sweetness. Don't recall anything along the lines of flour. Looks like I'll have to revisit. :)

Last edited:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
LOL ^

Anyone else get the same/similar flavor?
I did. 100% lol

I think the Cro Mag blend can be like that at times. I am one who prefers the Aquitaine but I am in the minority and only have had 1 but it was SPECTACULAR. Best way I was able to describe the aquitaine was "citrusy Opus flavor. This is why once I found out one of the local B&Ms to one of my offices was carrying a special torpedo vitola (non mode 5) of the Aquitaine I ran there and picked some up