What's new

Tasting All The Flavours In Your Cigar

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hi guys,

I received an email from a local (Aussie) cigar store recently about how to taste all the flavours in your cigar, I found it interesting so thought I'd share (see below).

However there was one point I've never come across before; check out the 'Smoke Two' section, this is new to me, anybody try it?

Any other tips you've found help you taste the flavours? I'd love to hear them.

Taste Before You Light

Try holding the cigar in your mouth before you light it up. You’ll be able to experience the sweetness or bitterness of your cigar, and these are indications that it’s a good smoke. However, if you taste acidity or saltiness, this may mean that the cigar was made from less-than-perfect tobacco.

Clean Your Palate

While I really enjoy pairing cigars with a fine spirit or a good cup of coffee, I find the best way to really focus on the cigar is without a flavourful pairing. Spring water is good. The best is room temperature or slightly-chilled club soda. The bubbles clean the palate while making sure it isn’t too cold, which will prevent your taste buds from being dulled.

Smoke Two

I think one of the best ways to develop your palate is to smoke two cigars at once. If you smoke two similar cigars side-by-side, you’ll be forced to notice the contrasts and complexities that you wouldn’t if you smoked only one. (Alternating between the two will also force you to slow down.)

Take Notes

Not only will writing down your observations help you remember what you noticed while smoking a particular cigar, but putting pen to paper will force you to think about the descriptions you use and to make sure they are evocative and precise so they will be useful later.

The Finish

The “finish” is another key part in enjoying a cigar. The finish is a fancy term for aftertaste. Aftertaste is the persistence of flavour long after the substance has passed over the taste receptors. As far as cigars are concerned, the finish should be enjoyable and the longer the flavours remain the better. For some reason certain flavours from cigars are more prominent on the finish than others, like coffee, cocoa and licorice.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Never did the "smoke two" part of this...but some really great information.

I have my cigar journal but I just feel like I never have time to do my own reviews. I prefer to do them when I'm alone and not distracted by anything or anyone.

When I'm at the local shops no chance in hell I can focus on doing my personal review because I always socialize with some of the other regulars and make friends with new people....

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Being an absolute noob I can't really comment but I can understand what he is saying when he says try two at once.
When I have tried a different smoke at the same time I have been blown away by the difference in flavours.

Interesting points that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I think he's just trying to sell twice as many cigars with his smoke two idea lol.
I fully agree with the cigar journal being helpful in tasting a cigar. Forces you to pay more attention. I like to come back to them when I resmoke, and it helps me remember what I liked and why.

I try to do that when smoking a new cigar, and it requires to be able to spend time purposely on it.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I remember as a new smoker doing a lot of the things mentioned.... Taking notes, trying to figure out the different tastes and flavors and all that stuff. Eventually though, I realized that all that stuff actually made me enjoy smoking less...Nowadays, I just smoke what I have and enjoy the relaxation that I get from smoking a half decent cigar without worrying much about all the nuances. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but over thinking what I was smoking made the experience less enjoyable for me personally.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I remember as a new smoker doing a lot of the things mentioned.... Taking notes, trying to figure out the different tastes and flavors and all that stuff. Eventually though, I realized that all that stuff actually made me enjoy smoking less...Nowadays, I just smoke what I have and enjoy the relaxation that I get from smoking a half decent cigar without worrying much about all the nuances. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but over thinking what I was smoking made the experience less enjoyable for me personally.

No need to overthink it when you take notes.
I too notice I dont always feel I want to take note, particularly on a social setting such as chatting with Bros on our very own chatroom.
But regardless, I like noting down what I liked or disliked when smoking something new. Particularly on sticks I had issues getting.

I think everyone is different. To each their own.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I enjoy "review smoking" every now and then for something different, but for the most part I just smoke to relax. Never did do the journal thing.

It is fun to do a review and then search for reviews of the same stick to see how well my tastes match up with the "pros". Also fun when you search for said reviews and find that they're all very different from each other.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

What he said!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I agree here. I initially started keeping notes every time I smoked a stick, however I found I was not enjoying it as much so now I keep notes the first time I smoke a cigar or whenever I notice something new. This way I still have my notes, but also relax and smoke when I want. Sometimes I don't take notes till the second or third time I smoke a stick. Sometimes, I don't take any notes at all (especially when burning a yard gar or that one and only time I smoked an OX).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I like to keep short notes on the band's of the cigars I enjoy. Forces them to be concise and not wordy.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I agree here. I initially started keeping notes every time I smoked a stick, however I found I was not enjoying it as much so now I keep notes the first time I smoke a cigar or whenever I notice something new. This way I still have my notes, but also relax and smoke when I want. Sometimes I don't take notes till the second or third time I smoke a stick. Sometimes, I don't take any notes at all (especially when burning a yard gar or that one and only time I smoked an OX).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That's pretty much hiw this dog's doing it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
He forgot one of the best pieces of advice. Get out and live life! How are you going to know cedar if you've never smelt it? How are you going to know oak if you haven't smelt it, ate something cooked over it, or aged in it? How will you know the taste of light roasted coffee, honey butter, orange zest, or any other flavor if you haven't experienced it? You simply won't. So, live life for as many fine drinking, eating, and general moments as possible. It will make the time with a cigar much better.