What's new

Tat Remix Reviews

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I think it's time to finally go through all my leftover one-off Tats I remixed and review each one of them. Half of the wrappers were changed due to the original wrapper being busted beyond being smokable and the other ones are due to me being a little too crafty for my own good. From my past experiences the cigars have ranged from awesome to terrible. Hopefully none will be so bad that I will pitch halfway through but if I do, you will get a super short review. Ex: "This cigar sucks, the end" I'll start on the first one tonight and I'll keep all the reviews just in this one thread. A lot of them were experiments when I wanted to find a Pork Tenderloin Replacement. Seriously though, just go buy the TAA 14. That cigar has more flavors that reminded me of the PT then any of my one-offs... :banghead:

Linup from left to right:
Anejo on J21
7th Capa on Noella Reserva
Couple of BLs from a Regios Reserva on a Drac
LFD Factory Press on a Boris
Jason on a Barclay Rex
Cojonu BL on a J21
Cojonu Sumatra on a Mexican Experiment
Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial on a J21

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
First Remix: AF Anejo wrapper on a Tat J21

Prelight - The cigar was rewrapped a year ago. The scent has changed dramatically from when I rolled it and smoke it fresh. It has gone from sour milk to more of a sweet milk chocolate aroma. I'm looking forward to revisiting this one.

Smoking Experience - Lots of dry cocoa right from the first puff. Black pepper coats the tongue. Perfect draw for me. Nice tight ash and the burn line was surprisingly good. Most of my rerolls have not burned very straight and required a lot of touch ups. Moving into the first inch the cigar has been very one dimensional. Tons of bitter dark chocolate. The flavors are a muted and it was a bit flat. Retrohaling offers some mild spice but without doing so leaves the cigar lacking in complexity. Towards the 2nd half and on, some sweet hay comes through. The smoke is light and the strength medium. It was not what I was expecting. I would have thought the cigars combined would have been more of a powerhouse. Overall, the cigar was decent. If I had to put a number to it I would say it was a 86. Smoking it makes me wish it did one thing really well. Like an overwhelming amount of creaminess or interesting spice. It offered neither. I've had more luck with the Anejo wrapper on other cigars. On the Opus PL it was quite good. It was knock me on my ass strong but at least it had a personality. Hopefully the next cigar in the lineup will have a more favorable review.

2nd Remix: Cojonu CBL on J21

I recently separated my NCs from my CCS so I could adjust the RH for both. Before I was running at about 62% RH for both and noticed that my NCs were not smoking the same as I remembered (For the worse). Now I have been running my CCs at 62% and my NCs at about 66%. The flavors from my NCs have been coming back around. On to the review...

The wrapper on the Cojonu CBL is just beautiful. You can tell this is the best CBL Tatuaje uses. I have used a lot of CBLs off of the My Father line of cigars and this one has the least amount of flaws and the color was a beautiful shade of a Snikers bar. The smell of it wrapper reminds me of chocolate covered raisins.

Right off the bat the cigar gave off a wonderful sweet chocolate and roasted nut flavor. I'm surprised by the lack of spice and pepper. The standard J21 was more in your face and this one tasted like it was tamed by the CBL. A faint sour note popped up for the 1st inch that I wished it would have disappeared a lot sooner. After the 1st inch the sour note disappears completely and it is replaces with a nice numbing red pepper spice on the finish. The great flavors keep building up and by the halfway mark it was hitting on all cylinders. The sweetness, spice, chocolate melded together perfectly and it provided a hint of mint chocolate right at the end of each exhale. When it was "ON" this cigar reminded me so much of the Pork Tenderloin. I ran off to grab my wife in my excitement because in my mind I really thought smoking this cigar was pure happiness. I shared my first Pork Tenderloin with her when we went on vacation in Spain and she agreed, it's as close as I've got to the flavors of the P.T. She then took the cigar away from me and it was the end of my wonderful smoking experience. She did look quite lovely smoking while the sun was setting with a glass of Jefferson Whiskey in her other hand...

Last edited:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Very cool, Eddie :)
I like the idea here....Although taking a wrapper off a Barclay Rex does make me feel like some small amount of sacrilege has occurred, lol....:arghh:
Kind of a related question for you...Do you happen to know what type of leaf is used to enclose the Leaf by Oscar cigars? This question came to mind as I 'unwrapped' one yesterday.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Very cool, Eddie :)
I like the idea here....Although taking a wrapper off a Barclay Rex does make me feel like some small amount of sacrilege has occurred, lol....:arghh:
Kind of a related question for you...Do you happen to know what type of leaf is used to enclose the Leaf by Oscar cigars? This question came to mind as I 'unwrapped' one yesterday.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Leaf by Oscar series. So I can't comment on the wrapper or binder on that cigar. I wouldn't have rewrapped the BRex if the original wrapper was still semi intact. I could have patched it I suppose but that looks terrible.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Leaf by Oscar series. So I can't comment on the wrapper or binder on that cigar. I wouldn't have rewrapped the BRex if the original wrapper was still semi intact. I could have patched it I suppose but that looks terrible.
Please know I was kidding about the B Rex, lol.
Really look forward to the reviews...Very unique, cool thread.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Holllllllld on a minute there.......That custom stick you included in my batch was an Eddie Original??? GTFO.....Now I definitely need to smoke it!
I had no idea you were a mad scientist and a master bomber...