What's new

Tatuaje Avion 11

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Something wierd is about to happen here folks...I can't explain it at all!
I have tried both the Tatuaje Fausto and La Casita in different sizes but didn't really care for them. I'm in the minority I know, but thats how it is.
Or so I thought...Here's where the wierd part kicks in.

mc78.jpg

Tatuaje Avion 11
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaraguan including Jalapa/Esteli Ligero
Perfecto Grande: 6 3/4 x 48/52

While the Fausto is a regular production cigar, Tatuaje also made a decision to issue an annual limited release vitola of the Fausto blend. For that vitola, Tatuaje also made the decision to give that it a separate name and a unique band. As a result, the Tatuaje Avion 11 was born. (I stole this quote..shhh)

mc79.jpg

I really love cigars made like this. More so than the Toro. It just feels like a cigar to me and this is just as much a part of my enjoyment as smoking them. It has nice weight, feels firm, well packed, and very little inconsistencies visable on the wrapper. I really like the band as well...has that old world look to it.
Using my Xikar XI3 I snip of about a 1/4 inch off the head and fire it up. The first thing to hit me is that pepper punch were all familiar with. It has the perfect strength to it though and wakes the taste buds right up. It doesn't take long for this to settle down though as about 1/2 an inch into it, it starts to settle into a very pleasent earth and dark coffee flavor. These taste are very present and meaty which shows the strength of this cigar. The draw is just how I like it, not to tight or loose. The smoke is thick and has a nice aroma to it.
I would say the first third of this cigar remains solid in it's flavor profile with the pepper really taking a back seat and letting the other flavors take hold thoughout.

mc80.jpg

The Second Third
Still constant with the Earth and dark coffee, I want to say there is a flavor of coco in there as well. The flavors hit the tongue in a revolving fashion, not like in a mixed way, but seperate...crazy right? The second part of this smoke was solid and the strength is still poppin. For as strong as this cigar is I'm loving the fact it doesn't overpower all the flavors I'm getting. I'm actually taking my time smoking this because I'm enjoying it so much.

mc81.jpg

Final Third and Thoughts
As the cigar tapers in shape it's starting to pick up on the strength and I can taste the pepper returning. This is especially the case in it's final draws. The Earth, coffee, and coco fade away at about the last inch and it's like being on a rollor coaster and the last turn is ahead. You just hate to see it coming. I enjoyed the heck out of this cigar and it boggles the mind knowing this is a Fausto blend and yet I really didn't care for the others.
I'm curious to see if other people feel the way I do and get a different profile from this cigar compared to the other Fausto sizes.
Again, I really enjoyed this cigar and all it complexities. Smoking time was about an 1hr 45min for me.
I highly recommend this cigar and definitely give it a box worthy vote.
Thanks for your time!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Maybe it really demonstrates how vitola DOES affect flavor profiles? :dunno:

But you're not weird... well, for that, at least... but I've heard this from others, as well. People have said they didn't care for the Fausto cigars, but really like the Avion. Interesting...

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I like both the Fausto and Avion, but enjoy the Avion more. I'm not surprised that you came to that conclusion. Tatuaje will continue to make this vitola and introduce a new one each year, so next year we'll have two to choose from. Thank you for taking the time to post.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Great review, Ciggy! I've only had one, but loved it. My experience was similar to yours, though I didn't get as much of the coffee, maybe a burnt coffee bean or something here and there. I will always have some of these on hand, but will probably stick to 5-ers because it's such a large size (in terms of smoking time--close to 2-hours for me). I'll probably light up my 2nd one this weekend!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks for sharing Tom...

....to me the fausto was good...not something I'd reach for right away...definitely interested now to see how the avion is in comparison.

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Absolutely love this stick!

Probably smoked close to (2) boxes already.

Perfect blend and vitola!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk