What's new

Tatuaje RC233

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is my first review, and post, in a while. I figured I'd like to kick off my return with a cigar I've been wanting to try, and have been resting for about 9 months, the Tatuaje RC233. This cigar is probably the second largest type of cigar I have smoked.

This cigar is mammoth. It measures in at a grand 9 1/8x55. The 233 in the name stands for the cigars length in millimeters. According to the Tatuaje website, the cigar is wrapped in a Habano Ecuador leaf with a Nicaraguan filler and binder and is listed under their Reserva line.

It is a gorgeous, reddish brown cigar that appears to be a slender and gradual perfecto, even with a thick 55 ring gauge, due to its great length. The cigar is firm with one or two apparently denser parts. It is surprisingly light for its dimensions, especially considering that it feels to be well packed.

The aroma is fantastic, very sweet and cedary. I cut off just a small portion of the cap, but the draw was surprisingly good initially.

Using my Ronson, the cigar took light easily and quickly. Initial smoke production left a lot to be desired, though the flavor was there and I didn't have to battle to keep it burning. It simply didn't produce much smoke. The initial flavors were sweet and surprisingly mild. I picked up coffee and cedar notes. There was a very noticeable sweet undertone though that gave the smoke a creamy taste.

Ash held for about two inches at first and then dropped every inch to inch and a half after that.

Flavors were not particularly complex and didn't change much. The second half of the cigar was more full bodied and I picked up some chocolate and spice notes along with the flavors I noticed initially. There was also a light nutty flavor that would come and go throughout the smoke.

About halfway through the cigar I was getting some tar buildup and cut just a little more off the end, which solved the issue for the remainder of the smoke. About a third of the way in the smoke production finally picked up. It still wasn't as productive as I would have liked, but it was decent and, like I said, the flavor was good regardless.

The final smoking time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. The flavors I picked up on during the smoke were coffee, chocolate, cedar, spice, and nuts. All in all, it was a very mild, but tasty smoke. The flavors were delicious, but not overly complex or interesting, which is difficult when you're smoking for over 2 hours.

The construction was very good and I had no burn issues, though the line did waver a tad now and then. The draw was the only construction issue I could complain about, as it was a bit too loose for my liking.

Overall, I enjoyed this smoke. The construction was good and the flavors were great. However, I probably wont go out of my way to search it out with any regularity. Despite the good flavor, it is quite expensive and doesn't offer up as much complexity as I would want in something that lasted so long. I feel that there are better bangs for the buck out there, but I would encourage people to try at least one. If you've got the time and good company, this would be a great cigar to enjoy while in discussion with friends. Plus, it is mild enough and the nicotine is light enough that you shouldn't run the risk of overdoing it.

Attachments

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
nice review! This is the larger of the two Tat salamones, right? I'm surprised it only took 2:15, that thing's a monster!!

I've had the smaller one a couple times and loved it, though I agree it wasn't the most complex cigar, the flavor was great. I have a few more and will smoke them, though I rarely have time for cigars this big anyway. For me, a cigar this big and this expensive has to "wow" me for it to be worth it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
nice review! This is the larger of the two Tat salamones, right? I'm surprised it only took 2:15, that thing's a monster!!

I've had the smaller one a couple times and loved it, though I agree it wasn't the most complex cigar, the flavor was great. I have a few more and will smoke them, though I rarely have time for cigars this big anyway. For me, a cigar this big and this expensive has to "wow" me for it to be worth it.

Yuppers. The RC233 is 9 1/8x55 while the RC184 measures in at 7 1/4x57. Even the little one is quite enormous. I was also a little surprised that it didn't take longer, but I tend to smoke a little on the quick side and this cigar I think just burned quickly. Like I mentioned in the review, it was surprisingly light for its size. It kind of weirded me out, but it smoked just fine.

I definitely agree with you on wanting to be "wowed" when you smoke something so large and expensive. I can say that this was easily the best of the cigars I've smoked in that size range though. I think the best course of action when you've got 2+ hours to kill is to just smoke a couple of smaller cigars. A couple of Illusione 68s would've fit the same time frame and cost less than half as much.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I think you did a fine job for your first review!
I've had one of these but it took me almost 3 hours to smoke...I agree with your last comment as well.
I think these are a great try me stick or occasional fun smoke but not something that really stands out there as a fantastic cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a great review! I've always wanted to see this particular cigar reviewed and this is the first I've seen. Do you think this cigar would have been bolder, and consequently, a little more interesting if you smoked it fresh? I've noticed with a lot of my Tats that I've laid down for a year that the spice dissipates quite a bit. It leads to a smoother and rounder flavor, but sometimes I like that burst of pepper and strength.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think you did a fine job for your first review!
I've had one of these but it took me almost 3 hours to smoke...I agree with your last comment as well.
I think these are a great try me stick or occasional fun smoke but not something that really stands out there as a fantastic cigar.
Thank you :tiphat: Though this isn't my first review, it's just the first that I've done in a while. I've not been very active on the forum for a while due to school and work for the most part. Then I was actually out of country for about a month and didn't check in then.

Thanks for a great review! I've always wanted to see this particular cigar reviewed and this is the first I've seen. Do you think this cigar would have been bolder, and consequently, a little more interesting if you smoked it fresh? I've noticed with a lot of my Tats that I've laid down for a year that the spice dissipates quite a bit. It leads to a smoother and rounder flavor, but sometimes I like that burst of pepper and strength.
Thanks, gent. :) Hmmm... that's a tough call, but I would be really surprised if it toned down that much in just 9 months. There was little to no pepper that I picked up on. The spice that I did pick up on was more of a sweet spice. As for the strength, I can't imagine there was ever much there to speak of. I smoked it on an empty stomach and all I felt afterward was hungry. lol. It was very tasty, but it wasn't what I expected.