What's new

Tatuaje SODO Review

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Tatuaje SODO
12/3/10

(Skip the next paragraph if you want to get straight to the review)

Background

One of the newest Tatuaje limited editions is a Lancero called the Tat SODO. SODO refers to a trendy industrial/business area located south of downtown Seattle. A cigar enthusiast and friend of Pete named John Ohm owns a cigar shop in SODO called “JnJ Cigars” for which the cigar was made. The SODO was created under the “El Triunfador” label, but is certainly a departure as far as blend and wrapper. Pete says that the filler is different than the original line, with different leaves used for the blend. He also used an aged Broadleaf Connecticut wrapper which really gives this Lancero a different profile than the OR line.
Production limited to 200 boxes.

Prelight

Smooth, dark wrapper with minimal veins, with a beautifully executed pigtail. Nice tight pack with no soft spots. The foot gives forth a solid tobacco and barnyard manure aroma. After snipping the beautiful cap (painful to do!) the cold draw provides some sweetness and earth.

First Third

Toasted the foot and the first few draws provided initial earth and pepper. Right away this cigar was complex….Heavy black pepper, toasted bread, and a hint of orange peel with a background of earth and baker’s chocolate. Tight, solid ash held well, and the aroma was of oak. To this point the burn was perfect, and the burn line was super thin….Made me wonder just how aged this wrapper is.

Second Third

An essence of raw cinnamon stick emerged and complimented the orange/citrus notes that had moved to the foreground along with the spice and toast….Really nice. The background of strong earth and baker’s chocolate continued. The burn and ash remained stellar…This cigar draws well, providing ample smoke for such a small ring. A strange chalky texture began towards the end of the second third….Sort of a distraction form the cigar’s profile.

Last Third

The chalky texture and flavor slowly dissipated…Not sure what that was all about. The last third was like a launch pad for all of the flavors in this cigar….Lots of sharp black pepper, burnt toast and raw cinnamon up front with strong earth and a small amount of chocolate in the backdrop. The sweetness noted earlier in the cold draw somehow managed to breakthrough all of the heavy flavors in the form of dark molasses, which was subtle; yet added another note to the profile. Although the cigar remained enjoyable, the last third was almost harsh, reminding me that this cigar was still very young. The razor thin bun line continued, framing a solid, tight ash….Excellent construction and craftsmanship.

Closing

It never ceases to amaze me how Lanceros pack such a punch for such a small cigar! The Tat SODO is no exception….Tons of complex flavors combined with superior craftsmanship provided a great smoke. This cigar should really improve with age, rounding out the sharpness and smoothing out that last third.

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Thanks for the review...
Maybe it's just me but I still think it tasted just the same as the original ET Lance...or very close to it!

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has fired one of these up lately....
I would be completely surprised if anyone has any of these. I have never heard of them. Your review was good though.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Talk about a blast from the past. They were so good I blew right through the box. Now I wish I had some left.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Love these cigars and they tug at me cuz I know the shop and owner. But, i've been debating selling off my remaining box because someone in my house keeps buying those damn cuban cigars and I desperately need the storage space!?! Just can't get myself to do it though lol :bickering