What's new

Tatuaje Westie Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Tatuaje Verocu No. 1 Exclusivo Lado Occidental (West Side) 6 ¼ x 52

In light of being a Tat whore recently, I've decided to continue the trend!

Like its sister stick, the Zona del Este (which I reviewed here http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=43795) It was based on the same Tatuaje Havana VI but also used Ligero in the filler and a Cafe Rosado Oscuro Wrapper to add to its strength and complexity. In a move rumoured to mimic the Cuban regional releases, the Verocu No. 1 was released to the West coast of the united states spawning the “Westie” nickname, while the Verocu No. 2 was released to the East coast, like wise giving it the “Eastie” disambiguation.

A closer look a this richly coloured oily chocolate brown wrapper reveals impeccable quality control, while there is some molted colouring to the leaf and a few minor cracks – which I'm sure are more than likely due to storage – I only see minimal veining, smooth seems and well formed triple cap. Adding to its good looks, the cigar is packed well with that slight bit of give I look for between the fingers.

Pre-light: Fragrances from the body are more pungent than most, almost like a freshly ploughed farmers field with background cocoa hints, the foot however brings many cocoa nuances along with coffee and hint of spice. Clipping the cap opens up this cigar for a near perfect draw, not too tight, not too loose but just the way I like it, although the draw is rather mild offering only stout tobacco notes and spice hints.

Light: Like a blow torch to gasoline this Verocu lights up in a jiffy throwing deep spice, cocoa, and coffee nuances everywhere, but what does the aroma smell like? Yup, you guessed it, cocoa all around, I love it.

First Third: Near to the end of the first third, I can say that I'm very impressed by this stick compared to its sister. Not only have the burn and the ash already fared better than the Eastie, but the profile is deeper and more complex. Initially sweet cocoa is perceptible on the draw, but this soon transforms into smooth coffee flavours that are rounded out by a nice spicy kick in the pants from the ligero. while attempting to make sense of the expelled smoke, my nose is simply flooded by fragrances of cocoa mixed with hints of leather and spice, simply marvellous. As previously alluded too, the burn throughout the first third has been great and the ash held for a solid inch and a half before falling prey to my stinky, shaping up for an over all great experience.

Second Third: Entering the second third, the wrapper has split some due to a minor tear that formed while handling the stick, though this is nothing a simple touch up cannot fix. About 50 minutes in and the flavours are developing wonderfully, sweet cocoa still leads the draw but is quickly followed by toasted almond and hints of leather and spice on the finish. The expelled smoke has also continued to develop nicely and while cocoa again heads the fragrances here, leather has become quite strong with spice following at only a hint in the background. Despite the afformentioned issues, the burn has self corrected astoundingly and is keeping to an even edge and sports a solid two inches of ash.

Final third: Following a trend from the first two thirds, this Westie continues to develop its strength and complexity. Not surprisingly cocoa continues to dominate the flavor profile, while wonderful background notes of roasted almond, espresso, leather and spice round out the finish. The retro-hale has deepened yet again on the finish offering notes of almond in addition the ever present leather and spice. Towards the nub there is some variance in the burn although this doesn't really detract from the over all consistency the cigar has shown throughout and the ash hung on for a little more than an inch at the nub.

Final thoughts: Simply put, this was one of the best cigars I've ever had the pleasure of smoking, so much so that it may crown my list. The Verocu No. 1 shone in every area, flavour, complexity and consistency leaving nothing to be desired, if you can find a few at the $15 dollar or so price tag they carry today, I would strongly suggest jumping on it.

Total smoking time was just under an hour and 50 minutes.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Oh man that looks delicious.

Out of curiosity, how long did you let it sit in your humi before smoking it?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Another great review dood! My all time favorite stick! I may have to have one tonight, thanks for the reminder!

Sin

Living the Dream
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do u have a blog? Cause your reviews should be read regularly; good stuff. thanks!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Great review! When they burn properly, the West Coast then East Coast are my favorite cigars on the planet. Just absolutely perfect to me. Sweet, but spicy and strong too. Delicious!

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great review! When they burn properly, the West Coast then East Coast are my favorite cigars on the planet. Just absolutely perfect to me. Sweet, but spicy and strong too. Delicious!
Yup, they are amazingly smooth too!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Gosh I used to love those Easties and Westies. Burned through half a box each, shoulda bought a ton more. Hell I shoulda bought all the foil wrappend end-of-run ones from Dan that I could afford, just for daily burners. But I stupidly passed on those, too. <sigh>