What's new

Tennessee Dave turned loose in Bourbon Country part 2 of a few

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
After a breakfast of Eggs Benedict it was on to the distilleries. First stop was Heaven Hills and the Bourbon Heritage Center. Notice the dessert special of the day at Mammy's.
IMG_4071.jpg

Heaven Hills and Bourbon Heritage Center. No whiskey is distilled here anymore but they have millions of gallons racked up in the rickhouses. Did a tasting and toured the Heritage Center. Saw some remarkable bottles of Old Fitzgerald and Very Old Fitzgerald from back in the days they were made at Stitzel Weller. Picked up some Heaven Hills bottled-in-bond 6 year old as it is generally not available outside Kentucky.
IMG_4069.jpg
IMG_4070.jpg
Less than 5 minutes away was Willett's. Another tasting and got a chance to meet some of the family there. They just bottled and released their first bottled-in-bond 2 weeks ago. Had a chance to taste it and came away with 2 bottles. Unfortunately none of the family reserves were available other than some rye. Passed on that as I can get it locally. Expansion was going on at this facility. Interesting note Rowan's Creek was named after the small little creeks that runs between Willett and Heaven Hills.
IMG_4072.jpg
IMG_4073.jpg

Then it was on to Marker's Mark. You want to talk about out in the boonies this is it. Beautiful grounds though. Had a tasting and spent some time browsing the gift shop.
IMG_4075.jpg
IMG_4077.jpg

Last stop of the day was at Barton back in Bardstown. They were cooking mash which perfumed the entire historic district. Enjoy a tasting and got a chance to pick up another bottled-in-bond not available to me here locally...Very Old Barton.
IMG_4080.jpg
Thought we'd better eat somewhere other than Mammy's so my daughter, son-in-law and I freshened up and it was on to the Rickhouse. Must have driven by it 10 times before we finally just stumbled on. The signs were black with copper lettering rendering them near worthless at night. It was worth the trouble though as the dry aged boned in Ribeye was outstanding.
IMG_4084.jpg

After all the bourbon tastings and the bottle of wine for dinner it was back to the cottage for the evening.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've been to Bardstown, and Etown.. seen lots of those big rickhouses.. didn't know what they were.. That's pretty cool! Looks like a great trip!