What's new

Tesa Picadura King Habano 5.5x48

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Haven't sat down with the intent of reviewing a stick in quite a while but got this one last weekend. Did some perusing online and didn't see too much about it. I did see that Rex was in the process of doing reviews on a Tesa sampler but another persons insight never hurts, I suppose. With that said here's my lunch break review.

Tesa Picadura King Habano
5 1/2 x 48
Wrapper: Habano Ecuador
Binder: Nicaraguan Criollo '98
Filler: Long and Short Esteli

20140326_130620.jpg

I received this stick as a freebie from Jeff at Riverside Cigars in Jeffersonville, IN last weekend with a purchase I made. I had heard of the Tesa Cigar Co. but never tried any product. I knew today would be slow so I loaded it up this morning and waited til the time was right. I got to it after lunch. Rolling it between my fingers it felt nice and firm. No squishy spots. Veiny with a closed foot. Smells of sweet tobacco and hay. I keep a cheap v cutter in the truck so I clipped it and took a couple pre-light draws. A bit tight, I'm assuming the closed foot played a part in that. It had a slight hint of a spice on the lips. Draw seems earthy and a bit barnyard. Lets get down to business...

20140326_130627.jpg

The stick fired right up and emits a good amount of smoke. As the foot burns away the draw opens up and I can tell this is going to be a good one. An inch in and the ash falls. A satisfying creaminess with notes of espresso and nuts are noticeable well throughout the first third.

20140326_144724.jpg

About halfway in and the flavor profile hasn't changed much. The stick started out on the lower medium strength side but has ramped up a bit to the upper medium range. Ash is holding tight and looks great. Burn is staying inline for the most part and it's still rolling a fantastic smelling smoke.

20140326_151509.jpg

Getting into the last third, the stick has a slight caramel note with a roasted nuttiness. Haven't needed to touch it up at all. I pulled the band off and nubbed it.

20140326_155056.jpg

All in all I was surprised to get this much enjoyment out of a mixed filler stick. With the price range around $6.00 you can guarantee I will be getting a bundle. The facts that i didn't have to babysit the burn, it provided satisfying transitions in tastes and it smelled amazing made this a pleasure to review.
Enjoy!
-Matt

20140326_153444.jpg

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Omg!!!! Matt! Dude, it's been awhile bro. You know you were the first BOTL I ever met back in the day when I didn't know much about cigars. Thanks to you I have burned through a lot of Curivari. Yeah, Jeff is a great guy and that is one of my favorite budget smokes. Great review man!