What's new

Testing the waters

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hey fellas.. So I actually have a day off from my hectic schedule lately... and figure I'd throw and Idea across to you guys and see what you think..

So my wife has been trying for a while to get me to sell my work at art galleries.. But I just won't budge.. I recently posted a picture of the Manhattan bridge where I received 4 offers to purchase a gallery wrap of it actually.. go figure lol

So basically what I'm asking is would you guys pay $50-$100 for a print of this? maybe an 8x10 i'll sign it and have it come matted already?

Brooklyn_xmas2014-117.jpg

I have all the resources to do it.. just don't know if I should. Also don't want to make myself look like a fool. I just don't know if i'll have enough interest blah blah blah .. a lot of negatives flowing through lol..

so what do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm not particularly fond of this subject matter, because that bridge isn't really relevant to me (I'm a Buffalo guy). But it is relevant to a lot of New Yorkers. (y)

I guess my next question is, what other subject matter have you shot? How about some cigar-related photography?

And you know what? Your wife is right -- don't sell yourself short! :stop:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
From one photographer to another....and I'll agree with your wife...DON'T sell yourself short. I think $100 is a bargain. I've seen and heard of some selling for more than that especially the bigger sized framed work. Remember: YOU are doing the matte work and other odds and ends to sell your product to a customer.

It's a beautiful photograph. I can see it more for us NY Clientele. But I can also see it with others who may live out of NY or grew up around the area and it brings them back "home" to the city. Only one way to find out. Sell the pieces. Word of mouth does well too, especially if it's on display somewhere like an office.

Now, I don't want to jack your thread here. I'm no where near a professional. I have a career in the medical field, but I also do freelance work on the side as an emergency scene photographer. Meaning, car accidents, structure and car fires, someone needs any sort of fire/ems assistance and it's picture worthy I'm most likely there right with the volunteers here on the island in my surrounding areas. I can tell you stories on end of the things I've seen in my 11 going on 12 years as a volunteer firefighter and about 7 years doing emergency scene photography. I lost count on how many times people ask me for free pictures or the "oh c'mon you're my friend, right? Hook me up." Well I politely tell them now, "my gas, my time, my camera, my expensive equipment I lug all over the place. Nothing comes free anymore." Granted smugmug does all that other leg work for me and my partners (good friends) I work with side by side. So we don't have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Awesome shot! Would an 8x10 be too square for this particular picture thou? Do you know any small galleries you could take your images to and try to get a little wall space to sell your images at?

I have never been to New York, but my perception is that New Yorkers are very proud of being New Yorkers, so I guarantee there will be people willing to buy this image. Pricing is very difficult, I can't help you there.

Where I live there is at least one small independently owned gallery that has an area that rotates each month or two with a new artist. So it's a whole small room with nothing but 1 persons work. They have a little gallery party every time they switch artists. "A launch party" so to speak.

I think this kind of setting is where you could fetch more money per print. The Internet is flooded with people selling pictures for next to nothing.

Good luck, I have kicked around the idea of selling some of my pictures as well. People that come to my house have offered to buy some prints off my wall. Never done it thou.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks all for the kind words!

I'm primarily a sports photog I shoot cityscape and landscape/street on the side.. I probably will do it I just have to find the right one to show my work.. Some galleries here are filled with artist who think their shit don't stink, and thats not who I want to be apart of.

And yeah funny how I never thought to shoot cigars lol maybe I'll go out and take some shots today.

Seriously thanks for the kind words, I'll keep you all updated!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0

I'm primarily a sports photog I shoot cityscape and landscape/street on the side.. I probably will do it I just have to find the right one to show my work.. Some galleries here are filled with artist who think their shit don't stink, and thats not who I want to be apart of.

And yeah funny how I never thought to shoot cigars lol maybe I'll go out and take some shots today.

Someday, I'll have a man cave. Won't hesitate to buy some cigar prints from you.

Agree with you on the artist thing...the only thing worse than a snob is an art snob. ;)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Believe it or not, I have been wanting to try and do cigar photography one of these days. I really don't know where to start. All of my cigar and pipe pictures are on my cell phone with my nasty hands in the pictures most of the time LOL.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
First of all, that shot is incredible. If I were in the market, I'd love this. Don't cheapen this one, $50 is underselling it.

Personally, I'd print it large and shoot for a higher-dollar market in a NY gallery somewhere.

But again I know nothing of such things, just my gut feeling.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

There a lot of forums around that would be interested in good Cigar Photos....they go great in a man cave! hint hint

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I'd say go for it...It's your passion, and you only live once.
Btw...Used some of that awesome lemon and garlic seasoning last night, and thought of you and the fantastic Secret Santa gifts you sent!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I really liked how you composed the shot and the fact it is B&W gives it a real pop. Now if I was to print this I would go with a 24 X 36 gallery wrap. I think that would look very nice and stand out as well. The place I priced it would charge 136.00 but I feel you could get over $300.00 for a print.

I have printed a few of my shots and someday want to print some with the gallery wrap. It is a Snowy Owl in flight and would like a 12 X 36 print.