What's new

Thank you Judy Brown

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
On the front page of our local paper Jan. 17th under the Headline of Up IN SMoke an article was written about how local residents in Pearisburg, VA feel about smoking in public.. of course it WAS biased and for the most part untrue but in today's paper was a response from one of Pearisburg's residents.

The survey is just smoke and mirrors

Let's hear it for the unbiased, unliberal, honest Roanoke Times.

The Jan. 17 front page leads with big, bold headlines "Up in smoke?" It asks, "Do you favor a bill to prohibit smoking in public places?"

It goes on to say that 71 percent of Virginians favor such a law. This statement is more than a little misleading.

According to the fine print, only 625 registered voters were polled (and even then there is a margin of error of 4 percentage points).

I believe we have more registered voters in Pearisburg than that. Seems like this isn't even close to a fair analysis. Is there any wonder that people call you a liberal paper?

Let's stop making empty laws that take away our rights. Next, they will be telling you that you can't smoke in your own home. It could be closer than you think.

JUDY BROWN
PEARISBURG

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
off topic but thats where me and the wife rode my bike too in order to get married...our county instituted a indoors clean air act...ie no smoking in offices..resturants (sp lol ?)...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
off topic but thats where me and the wife rode my bike too in order to get married...our county instituted a indoors clean air act...ie no smoking in offices..resturants (sp lol ?)...
Look at that

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
She speaks the truth.
The truth? Shes a moron. She doesn't understand statistics. Of course there are more registered voters than that.. thats how it works. You poll a group of random people of a certain sample size and then compare it to the total amount to get the margin of error. They aren't going to poll everyone in the entire county, thats silly!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The Jan. 17 front page leads with big, bold headlines "Up in smoke?" It asks, "Do you favor a bill to prohibit smoking in public places?"

It goes on to say that 71 percent of Virginians favor such a law. This statement is more than a little misleading.

According to the fine print, only 625 registered voters were polled (and even then there is a margin of error of 4 percentage points).

The newspaper is being misleading Josh. Look at the two underlined statements.

The interviewed 625 people and then call tht 71% of Virginia's residents.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Stupid or not... at least someone is not just sitting and bitching about what is going on, she at least reponded AND denounced the paper's b.s.

We all need to stand up for our cigar-smoking rights!