The $1 cigar, Padilla Fumas

Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Padilla Fumas Torpedo
6" x 52
Origin: Honduras
Wrapper: Corojo
Price: $1

I was given the Fumas by a friend who had bought a bundle on special for $19.99. Going into this I didn't know much about it other than it was a Padilla mixed filler that was being sold at liquidation prices so I figured something was probably wrong with it. I was impressed with the GH Fumas though so cheap mixed filler doesn't always necessarily mean bad.

The construction on this cigar is great. No real defects to speak of and the veins are minimal and although I wouldn't say the wrapper is great looking (the color was spotty) it was fine. The wrapper looks dry but it isn't brittle at all. The cigar itself is quite squishy so it might be pretty fresh, the whole cigar is packed solid though.

Prelight: The wrapper smells like cedar, prelight draw also has lots of cedar present.

First third: Lit easily with no issues, gives off plenty of smoke. The cedar is still present much everything is much more mellow. The smoke itself smells great and the draw is loose but not problematic. Fairly mild all the way through with a little pepper but otherwise the same cedar flavor that was there before the light.

Second third: The cedar flavor continues until about the midway point where a slightly bitter tinge starts to pick up, eventually getting stronger and begins covering up the pleasant flavor that was there. This continues to get stronger until the…

Last third …when I decided to toss it. The cigar continued to get more sour/bitter until that was pretty much the only flavor there.

Review or not, I wasn’t going to make myself sick smoking this one. I’m just shooting in the dark but these might need to be aged a few months before they’re smokeable. The sour/bitter taste could have been a result of the fermentation process so I’ll let others rest in the humidor for a few months before I try another one. On the other hand my friend had one and though he had some of the bitterness that I experienced he said he wasn’t nearly as prominent but also mentioned that he usually doesn’t smoke the last third. Maybe I just got a bum cigar, who knows!

Everything else was great on this cigar though. Even though what I read said this was a sandwich cigar the ash held strong and wasn’t flaky at all which was surprising. The burn was all over the place but it fixed itself and never required a touch up. It’s hard to rate the cigar given the difference between the construction and the last two thirds of the cigar…so I’ll just break it down like this.

Construction/Burn: 8/10 (no touchups required, decent ash)
Wrapper: 6/10 (kind of ugly, but no physical imperfections)
First third: 7/10 (mellow but still plenty good for a morning smoke)
Second third: 3/10 (bitter, got kind of nasty)
Last third: 0/10 (unsmokeable, acrid)

For $1 these might be worth buying a bundle and waiting until the bitterness goes away. I’ll give these another shot in awhile and see if that’s the case. If these do eventually become less bitter then they'd make for a great cheap morning smoke or something to give out to friends.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice review.....for a $1 what's not to like....(other than the bitterness and age should help that)

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nice review! Finding uber-cheap cigars that are decent is a difficult thing. Via Cbid, you can score a number of good cigars at $2 or less, though.