What's new

The 2012 Adventure Thread

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This year I'll be going rafting for the first time in the better part of a decade.
I rafted quite a bit throughout jr high/high school and for the first couple of years afterwards but over the last 7-8 years work and money and time and an ever decreasing lack of fitness, basically life, got in the way.
But recently an old buddy of mine (who happens to be an old rafting buddy) made me promise that this fall (prime time for rafting in the eastern midwest ... specifically, W Virginia) we'd grab a group of guys and hit the river.
The challenge is that this'll require me to drop a decent bit of weight if I'm going to be able to physically handle the rigors of the any section of the New, much less the Upper Gauley (which we're shooting for), but I'm looking forward to the idea of getting out there and endeavoring to adventure a little bit.
I'm planning, for the first time ever on a rafting trip, shockingly, to take the camera along and try to photo-document this trip and cobble that together with some of the river photography team shots to have something tangible to look back at long after this trip is over.
I'd originally considered rambling on a bit more about how gratifying encountering something wild is or how there's something fundamental in a man that wants adventure ... but rather then preach to the choir I figured I'd just post a couple of inspiring pics and see what you guys had to say.

Got an adventure planned for this year?

The afore-mentinoed pics i've scavenged off the web ...

Last edited:

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Have fun man!

may your trip fair better than these guys!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE"]Deliverance - Banjo Duel - YouTube[/ame]

Check out the daily fitness thread for inspiration on dropping the lbs.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Have fun man!

may your trip fair better than these guys!

Deliverance - Banjo Duel - YouTube

Check out the daily fitness thread for inspiration on dropping the lbs.
LOL ... thx, we'll try really hard not to get raped by hillbillies, a la Deliverance.

I'll check out the Daily Fitness Thread too.
Right now the wife and I are just walking and taking baby hikes and I'm by no means "there" yet, but I think Cross Fit type workouts are where I'd like to eventually get.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
MANY adventures planned! Two weeks in North Dakota in late October / early November chasing the winged fowl around. 4 days in Florida in January chasing a very particular species of fowl around.

5 Day fishing trip to Dale Hollow Lake on KY/TN border chasing the smallmouth and muskie at the end of this month. Several Kentucky Lake fishing trips, we have a cabin there, this spring and early summer.

2 different Gulf offshore fishing trips with friends, TEAM KILLSWITCH!!, per normal (annual).

Add in a couple of day and 2 day photo adventures as I've been concentrating more on landscapes.

Was going to Alaska this summer, again, but passed so I can go next year with friends for an even bigger and better adventure in the Prince William Sound chasing ling cod and halibut and island hoping/camping.

Life is too short to sit around!