What's new

"The Best Player Ever"

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have no respect for this oft-used term in sports. It seems that some network hack or buddy always throws this term out there. It means nothing to me. There is no fair way to compare players from different times , regardless of the sport. I do subscribe to the idea that some athletes are the best of of their era: Jordan, Lawrence Taylor, etc.

I heard some talking head refer to Tom Brady as the "best ever" on ESPN a few days ago. C'mon!

What do you guys think about the use of the "best player ever" designation?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
"C'MON MAN!" haha.

To me, "Best Player Ever" is okay to use when expressing your opinion, or taking a poll, something along these lines. I don't see how a reputable organization can label a player "Best Ever", unless it was put to some sort of formal vote by the player's teammates, coaches, colleagues. I think it kind of relates to Rolling Stone magazine for instance. "Best Guitarist of All-Time" or "Greatest Band of All Time". At the end of the day, they are just opinions. Sometimes even "expert opinions", but nothing more.

Can you imaging someone saying, "This is the Best Cigar Ever?"

The debates go on...

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think sports as a whole are a waste of time. Pro athlete's get paid crazy money to play a game.

To me the best ever is a title that should go to a teacher, doctor, parent
Not to folks that chase a ball around.

Sorry but you did ask. :)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think sports as a whole are a waste of time. Pro athlete's get paid crazy money to play a game.

To me the best ever is a title that should go to a teacher, doctor, parent
Not to folks that chase a ball around.

Sorry but you did ask. :)
All replies welcome :) Thanks for posting.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I have to agree for all but the individual sports. Take golf, because that is what I am most knowledgeable in. There are majors, then there are PGA Tour tournament wins, and then there are worldwide tournament wins. You factor those the in and you come up with the best ever.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I heard some talking head refer to Tom Brady as the "best ever" on ESPN a few days ago. C'mon!
The story on espn was debating because the patriots owner had said this so it was just a response to a comment you can understand because of course you are going to support your team and players.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually there's no such thing as "The Best" of anything because it's a subjective analysis with no real basis of fact. We just seem to use this phrase to get others attention as to how we feel as individuals .....when it's just how we "feel" and this has been going on since Adam told Eve she's the best...and she was as there was none other to compare.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have to agree for all but the individual sports. Take golf, because that is what I am most knowledgeable in. There are majors, then there are PGA Tour tournament wins, and then there are worldwide tournament wins. You factor those the in and you come up with the best ever.
I agree to some extent. However, the quality of the competition in pro golf changes through time. I remember hearing Nicklaus comment that Tiger Woods is (was) clearly better than his contemporaries, whereas Nicklaus never thought of himself that way. Would Tiger have won 14 majors if he had played against Tom Watson, Gary Player and Arnold Palmer? I dunno. If Woods had been in his prime in 1972, how many majors would Jack have ended up with?

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Uh, the competition of golf in 1972 is much less imposing than the competition in golf now. 1972 might have been more top heavy, and notice I said might have been but the 20th-150th player in the world now is light years better than the 20th through 150th player in the world 30 years ago.