What's new

The Changing Face of the Cigar Smoker

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
In a recent article posted on here, one which travailed the Country as an Op/Ed piece, the author portrayed the typical cigar smoker as middle aged, paunchy old guy. Well, as this article points out...not so fast there "Bucko".

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice!

I noticed after reading that article a few days ago saying "cigar smokers were middle aged with a big gut, and a big car"

I was like WHAT? Most of the people I see at cigar bars, are 20-30s

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ive brought this up before, that every cigar guy I've met has been a late 20's, to late 30's kinda guy. Im finding the old guys are far and few. Could be that older folk perhaps dont gravitate to the net, so Im not getting the same opportunity to meet them.

At a recent cigar dinner of about 100 patrons, I'd say 2/3 were a 30 something type crowd.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ive brought this up before, that every cigar guy I've met has been a late 20's, to late 30's kinda guy. Im finding the old guys are far and few. Could be that older folk perhaps dont gravitate to the net, so Im not getting the same opportunity to meet them.

At a recent cigar dinner of about 100 patrons, I'd say 2/3 were a 30 something type crowd.
Then you aren't looking that hard sonny.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
What makes a man go from being old, bald, and heavy to being young and refined, over the course of one week?

Cigars.

Beat that rogaine and corvettes!

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You know it's funny because at the shop I work at we get a very big mix of the above groups. The older gentlemen and the young guys/gals. I see them all which I guess isn't a bad thing.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Interesting article from Rapid City, of all places. I visited that Vino100/Tinderbox a few weeks back. Whats funny is that while I was visiting that lounge, I saw two younger ladies sharing a cigar outside, enjoying a beer. I can't say I've seen that often. While their humidor selection is limited, their smoking lounge is impressive. They have live music, lots of nice leather couches and tables, and a constantly rotating selection of beers from all over the world.

Regards,
Randy

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It's just a "man bites dog" story IMHO. Reporters are bored and hard up for stories, so they look for human interest stuff like this that challenges the stereotypes their readers hold.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of your opinions on the many sides to the man, I think Arnold Schwarzenegger has done a lot to invigorate, in a health conscious way, the perception of the cigar-smoking man. Sort of took cigars out of the dark mafia boardroom and lit them up in the daylight, as a reward for doing good things for oneself.

When a young Arnold lit up after winning a body-building contest, he was saying, "This isn't an addictive device that old men chew on as a substitute for self esteem, but a pleasant relaxation treat after a job well done by a mover/shaker."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my local cigar shops, i too am seeing many 20-30 yo. gentlemen shoping the humidors... I myself am only 21 and frequent the humidor in my local shops looking for some new treat...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I began smoking a few years ago when I was pretty young (still am). I have actually never met a cigar smoker my age, although I know there are many statistically. I have however made numerous friends between 25-67 over the course of my cigar journey from all different walks of life. I think cigar shops are a bridge that connect people no matter their age or circumstance.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Torin said it just right. I tell people all the time that IMO, the cigar shop/lounge is a modern day barber shop in a lot of respects. It is one of the few places where regardless of age/sex/political/religious/social views as well as wealth, mean very little between people. You can have the blue collar coal miner sitting next to a lawyer and have a genuine conversation as friends. There are very few, if any, places where this type of social interaction goes on. Bars, night clubs, restaurants are all places where for the most part people tend to stick within their social circles but that seems to go out the window when in an atmosphere where cigars are a part of the festivities. To me that is what makes part of this Brotherhood so special.

jbizzle

jb
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thanks for a refreshing read. Nice to read a piece about cigars in the mainstream media that wasn't written by a cigar nazi. Didn't know Rapid City had a Tinder Box, but they do have an awesome Microbrewery.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article on a shop in our area of the Black Hills of South Dakota. Nice place to stop if you are in town for the Sturgis Bike Rally. Another great place to sit and smoke is the Deadwood Tobacco Co. beneath the Oyster bar in Deadwood. Those guys have a tremendous inventory and I like to just walk in that humidor and breathe! Great Blues played there also. I always have to stop in and pick up a Tat or MF when I go.