What's new

The Cigar(s) that Hooked You

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
LGC Serie R #4 Maduro. After smoking a ton of mild cigars over the years I was in a humidor in Myrtle Beach with a buddy who smoked cigars regularly and he described all the differences in tobacco and went on about flavor profiles, etc. It was a bit of a "wow" moment that had me hooked on Cigars.
Where were you?

For me it also was a lgc r # 4 maduro, and lp no 9

It was like a juicy steak, none existed prior to those

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was in cuba april of this year and had to try a few just to say i did. Bought a monti open junior and 3 cohiba siglo 1. Got home and after a week or two i tried the monti, i found it very mild and not like i was expecting it to be, i never smoked cigarettets but was expecting it to be more like that. The next week i tried the cohiba and after about two puffs was like wow, i should have bought more. It was stronger and more flavorful then the monti. Tried a cao sampler, they were not bad, the gold was my fav of the bunch. Tried a few cheap fivers that were ok and also a fiver of short stories and loved them. Looking forward to trying many more after the holidays when the finances get back on track.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I wish I could say it was initially a flavorful cigar that hooked me. Back in 96 I went to Spain and on a whim I picked up a box of Monte 2 and a box of RYJ #1. De-banded them & brought them back and smoked them along with others (including a box of Siglio VI that were either fake or just plugged, from Bogotá). I've always been into the ritual, cutting, lighting, slowly smoking.

I took a long break between 1999 and 2012, smoking a few a year. Then I got back into it-- still with the old Cuban marcas (Altadis) primarily.

It was going here to my B&M in LA, and then BOTL, that got me tasting. Retrohaling finally. Selecting blends that appealed to my developing palate.

Now look at me. Ruined, like the rest of you.

Good thread, Jonny. Cheers.

PS I still have two of the RYJ #1 resting all this time. Hoping they'll be ok when the right occasion presents itself!
Not the story I expected! Interesting, very interesting!

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
When I first started smoking cigars I had no friggin clue what I was doing other than enjoying some time with friends. Cohiba Red Dots were the first cigars I smoked more than one of and enjoyed. Then the owner of the B&M I go to had me try a Montecristo Monte and I really enjoyed that one so that's pretty much all I smoked. This was because when I went in to the humidor I would just look around and was too scared to try something else for fear of not liking it and wasting money. Granted he did give me recommendations but I still didn't know jack about what I was looking for in a cigar or how to appreciate it for that matter. Fast forward a little bit, and I decided to branch out and take some chances and I ordered a bunch of different smokes, one of which was a Headley Grange. This is right about the time I stumbled in the door to BOTL. Long story short, the Headley Grange Estupendos is what made me say "Wow, that was a damn good cigar". I was hooked.

Oh, and all of you knuckleheads weren't much help either!;) Thanks for nothing ya dirty bastards......

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
After losing my job earlier this year I decided to try a cigar for the first time ever. Always wanted to so I thought y not! Went to a local and picked up a few mild sticks and a oliva series O. Hated all the molds but LOVED the O. Still very much a novice but I always seem to keep a O in the wineador.

Oh I got another job a month later that is 10 times better than the one I had!!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RyJ short churchill cc great mild cigar ... Recently just got 2x 3pack tubos ahhhhhh the memories hahaha

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
After I started dabbling in cigar smoking, I had a Cohiba Siglo VI on my birthday. That was about 6 months after I started smoking. It was amazing and I knew that I was in it for the long haul. The next one that got me was La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso. I believe I was already hooked by this point so anything after this wouldn't apply.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
For me, it was a pre-hurricane, Royal Jamaican #1 Tubo shortly after my 18th birthday. There have been a few Hiatuses and breaks in my Cigar "career" but that's definitely the one way back when that made me realize "WOW, these things can taste amazing, and they're not just for rolling.... Um... Other things". Damn I still miss those RJ's!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While in college in 1995-1999 it was the Arturo fuente Hemingway short story that began my love for cigars. Over the next ten years I smoked a few a year, and always reached for an Ashton vsg. Now in my thirties I go to holts and I find at least five new cigars a year that keep my interest. This year it was the las calaveras, the Ashton symmetry, the noblese, the Jericho hill, and the tat cojonu.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The first decent cigar that i really enjoyed was an NC RyJ. I have no idea which one. Before that i had smoked a couple of Macanudos but didnt see what all the fuss was about.