What's new

The confusion between body and strength

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I notice quite often that even the most seasoned cigar smokers seem to get body and strength mixed up when describing the properties of a cigar.

It's not uncommon that I hear things like this:

"It's only about a medium body - I'm not getting any nicotine kick at all."

"It's a very strong cigar, as the flavours are very rich and complex."

"It's very full-bodied, I'm getting pretty light-headed."

Body is more of a flavour description. It describes the volume and thickness of the smoke, and the depth of the flavours apparent.

Strength refers to nicotine potency. If a cigar makes you feel light-headed or nauseous, that's because of it's strength, not its body.

Perhaps the confusion stems from the fact that these two things do often (but not always) correlate with one another. A full-bodied cigar is usually going to be medium to full strength.

But it is possible (just uncommon) for a cigar to be full-bodied yet mild in strength, or alternately, mild-bodied but full strength.

This has always been my understanding of these two properties, and how they are both different but also sometimes affect one another.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Good information!!! This is probably the most common misconception in describing cigars for newer smokers.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think because so many have considered them the same for so long now it has stuck. Im guilty of mixing them up in previous reviews thats for sure.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think because so many have considered them the same for so long now it has stuck. Im guilty of mixing them up in previous reviews thats for sure.

Oh me too, I must admit! It's hard because, as you say, they've been mixed up for so very long even among professionals.

My absolute favorite tends to be medium-full body, and medium strength. Something that has great, rich flavours, and I can enjoy after having a relatively light snack rather than needing to have a 7-course feast before sparking up.

Perhaps this also explains my indifference to all-ligero blends. I find they're often quite one-dimensional in flavour and body, but the strength knocks me on my butt.

A good example of a cigar that's about a medium-full body but quite mild in strength is the Man o' War Virtue. That thing exudes huge clouds of thick, dense, flavourful smoke with a creamy texture and sweetness, but you could smoke it first thing in the morning and not bat an eye.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My kinda smoke. I've never had too much of an issue with strength, but I don't smoke cigars for the nicotine.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My kinda smoke. I've never had too much of an issue with strength, but I don't smoke cigars for the nicotine.

I have pretty much no issue as long as I have food on my stomach. I smoked an LFD Double Ligero after a roast beef dinner and didn't even break a sweat.

I just don't like that I have to do that with some sticks.

I'm more interested in a cigar tasting great and smoking well, than something that feels like it's just meant for strong-man contests.

To me, Padron's often have a perfect marriage of body and strength, and work-of-art construction to boot.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Good information!!! This is probably the most common misconception in describing cigars for newer smokers.
And veteran cigar smokers alike.

I would also like to add that :dunno:there is usually a correlation between the two.

Typically fuller flavor cigars = Body are also stronger.

While milder tasting cigars are also weaker in strength.

Now I like them both given the right occasion and can easily see the two being interchanged frequently.

Alot of times when the flavor and the strength dont match up you hear that a cigar is out of balance.....

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
...A good example of a cigar that's about a medium-full body but quite mild in strength is the Man o' War Virtue. That thing exudes huge clouds of thick, dense, flavourful smoke with a creamy texture and sweetness, but you could smoke it first thing in the morning and not bat an eye.
I've seen these around and have been curious about them, but have yet to look into them any further. I was intrigued, wondering what a mild/medium cigar would taste like from MOW. Thanks for that!! Now you've got me looking up reviews when I should be getting work done... :tongueout

I have pretty much no issue as long as I have food on my stomach. I smoked an LFD Double Ligero after a roast beef dinner and didn't even break a sweat.

I just don't like that I have to do that with some sticks.

I'm more interested in a cigar tasting great and smoking well, than something that feels like it's just meant for strong-man contests.
Agreed! Reminds me of when Krulos and I hit up the Cigar Shoppe in Biloxi. I picked up an Airbender on an empty stomach and Tim warned me that it might not be a good idea. Because I dip regularly, I have a decent tolerance for it, so I'm able to enjoy them without worry of becoming light-headed. Not that I'm bragging, seeing as it's quite the disgusting habit... But I did nub the Airbender without a hitch :smokingbo

To me, Padron's often have a perfect marriage of body and strength, and work-of-art construction to boot.
I couldn't agree more!!

This discussion brings the Felipe Power to mind. Back in my "more formative" years, when I was exclusive to "infused" cigars, I did try a Felipe Power and loved it. It was more of a mild smoke, but it seemed to have a ton of flavor. (I was going to use strength and body here, but I didn't want to risk it :laugh:). However, this was experienced before I had any experience with stronger cigars. So, it may have been a dog rocket and tasted great to me. I'd like to revisit it. And, since I've been writing this I looked it up real quick, and looks like they're few and far between :scratchhe... Oh well, maybe I'll pick one up along the way.

Little side-note: anyone else think some of the descriptions on various cigar websites are just silly? CI says MOW was recently crowned king of full-bodied... By whom?

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think they discussed this on the Cigar Authority Podcast recently. Seemed to be quite a difference in opinion amongst the guys on the show, and open for debate/interpretation.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'm the first one to admit that if a cigar has good flavor and complexity I sometimes will state it is stronger than it probably is, but that's just me.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I very much agree with post #1. That is accurate.

The next term we have to tackle is "complexity," which many in the cigar world think means the cigar changes flavors as you smoke it ... that is NOT complexity. Complexity is a culinary and wine term, meaning how many different flavors (and their depth) are present (and no, it's not semantics--terms mean certian things and to use them improperly or "however you want" not only causes confusion but makes cigar lovers look like idiots to everyone else).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The terms body and strength have always been used interchangeably to describe the nicotine kick of a cigar. To describe flavor you just say flavor.

This isn't wine.

Let's put this in perspective... would you call a la riqueza or a cabaiguan full bodied? Absolutely not. Why not? Those cigars are as full flavored as they come. You wouldn't call them full bodied because they contain no ligero, hence not a huge nicotine kick. Medium bodied.

Furthermore let's look at the Havana VI line. You would say a Nobles is medium bodied, but a Verocu full bodied. What's the only difference between those sticks? It's not flavor my friend, its just ligero in the blend and a different wrapper for the most part in the Verocu.

Last edited: