What's new

"The Dark Side"...

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've had one maybe 3 (can't remember off the top of my head) plugged cc the last 2 years. It was a farm rolled. While I've had a handful of "tight" draws none where un smokable. Mostly 08 09 10 11 boxes. I would like to hear from alot of the other daily/semi weekly CC guys with their experiance on this issue. Btw kyle I think many others have followed the same path at roughly the same timeline.
I had a hunch I wasn't alone Justin ;)..and yes, I've noticed your sig line, so had a feeling you had been headed down a similar path as well. I'm with you on the waking up w/ ashtray mouth, as that's one of things that is the most offputting for me about this hobby. I don't like waking up and having to brush my teeth three or four times to get that layer of ashy film off my tongue that a lot of the heavier NCs always seem to leave me w/ the next day. Mind you, I don't smoke as often as many...and am mainly a weekend only smoker...unless on vacay or something. I can smoke three or four cubans back to back, and have less ash-mouth than when I smoke one full-bodied NC. Which for the most part, is the driving force behind what's lead me to smoking pretty much cc's exclusively. Again, not better, just better for my palate.

Regarding construction....i'm with you there as well. Construction has been consistently good i'd say from the inventory i've purchased (08-11). I've had a couple tight draws, yet still smokeable. My 09 Party 898Vs being one, which I haven't revisited in quite a while. And also an 08 Juan Lopez 1 that was much firmer than I'd prefer. I can't recall a completely plugged stick i've smoked that's been recent production. Last one I had that was unsmokeable was an 01 Punch DC, and that was just plain awful. Pitched it an inch in, but that was one I got in trade, and I suspect from the "sale stock" a certain vendor offered back in the day.

That said, I can't argue w/ the fact the NCs are considerably better w/ the QC and minimal to no construction issues vs. Cubans. However, I don't think twice these days when I make a cc order..where i'm worried if i'll get a box of tight smoking cigars. If a few in a box are firm, that's a risk I'm willing to take, because again, cubans are what i've found to suit my palate the best.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
:drool:

I AM SPEECHLESS. Except to say that that stash is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Great post. It's what I'm considering doing. I'll either sell off most of my NC stuff, keeping a small selection, and buy some CCs... or I'll just sell it off and call it quits on the hobby.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Life is full of choices.
At some point you realize there is no all or nothing approach. I like a variety of cigars. Believing that only habanos are the best would have kept me from many memorable days and evenings with the likes of Drew Estates, Arturo Fuente, Joe Padron, and Pete Johnson just to name a few. Each cigar has it's own taste and profile. I love smoking a Havana Soul by Pepin or a DOn Carlos in the morning. Finishing a long day of cigars a Liga Privada or La Flor double ligero cuts through the haze. I love my Robaina's and Monte's but life would be limited indeed if these we the only cigars available or to be considered.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thanks for the updated photo's, it is quite interesting to see where you have gone since you posted pics a few years ago. As you said, I'm quite sure you're not the only one who has shifted his tastes, and I'm sure it's bound to happen to me at some point :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!! That is an Awesome stash! I too prefer CC's. Although I have found that Padron cigars don't have me wire brushing my tongue the next morning either. I had a BHK54 that was plugged. No massaging or cutting would unplug it. Tossed it and smoked a Boli Belicoso Finos.

calgon

stevesmoke
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Great smokes. I have also been making a transition to the dark side. I had a wonderful experience with a Monte no1, and ever since then I have been in love with cc's. And like others have said, there are a lot of great NC smokes and i will continue to enjoy them but for me I found something in a CC that got my juices flowing a little more...

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Great post. First, your NC collection is nothing to sneeze at! Great smokes. Ive only had a couple CCs so its kind of hard to judge, for me at this point. Although, I was gifted a PSD4 and that was a beauty. Being so close to Canada, maybe I should venture over the border, and start sampling the fruit. Anyway, great thread. Very cool to see your transition.