What's new

The Dreadidor, 1000+ capacity for under $200

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It would be a lot easier to regulate, if you put the two 150 counts inside this one, in that case.
yeah put those humidors inside that one. Less empty space and a bunch of already seasoned sticks and wood will help it stablize quicvkly
Dont worry all of it will be going in, once I get the humidity up a few percent(which i looks like Ive accomplished) everything will be going in. But I was to give it a week or 2 to make sure it stays stable.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Remember the turnover in those walk ins is usually pretty high so the cigars don't have time to pick up the flavors. As long as they are in boxes who knows but long term you may see some transfer. Love your cab. IndyRob did something similar with an old china hutch he bought for nothing. Sealed it and put it to use.

I did a custom TV cabinet but did line it. Love the smell but the cedar was pricey.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...(sorry!) you may not be able to smell any of the potentially harmful glue, sealants, lacquer, or any other agents that are present in that cabinet...But they could easily destroy your stogies over time.

Isn't the cedar lining in humidors usually glued into place?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constructive criticism doesnt bother me one bit. And as you can see I havent told anyone to go out and buy this cabinet and do the same because its hard to say what is going to happen. But what I did do is my research on the wood the cabinet is made of. It isnt MDF, its engineered wood with a multi coat paint. As long as no bare wood is exposed to the humidity this should hold up for a long time. Also the sealent Im not overly worried about but time will tell. As for a lack of cedar, thats going to be changing sometime in the near future. Ill be doing cedar shelves and cedar drawers for singles. As much as Id love to line this with spanish cedar I feel that SC is not as necessary as its made out to be. Ive been in countless walk ins where the only thing cedar in the entire room were the boxes or at most the shelves. Thats a big part of the reason i decided to do this.
Agreed. The only cedar in my local shop's walk-in is in the shelves. There's another place close by that doesn't even have a walk-in. The whole store is humidified, and I don't even think their shelves are cedar. I'll have to double check that next time I'm in there, but I'm pretty sure they're not. I've seen their hygrometer on the wall, and it says it's right about 70% in there. Spanish cedar is a substance that helps retain and regulate moisture and humidity, but it's not needed. I have an acrylic display humidor that stays more stable than my other two humidors that are lined, and there's not a matchstick of cedar in it.

I've been looking into doing this same project, because I think it would be the best bang for the buck for a cabinet humidor. However, I do plan on lining the cabinet as well as using cedar shelves, and maybe building cedar drawers, but that's mainly just for the appearance and the aroma.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
If you do want to line it I think you can put mahogany on the interior to save paying for cedar. That is if you just want it for humidity absorption and such. I figure since most boxes are cedar or at least cedar lined you're fine with out cedar inside. Hell old humidors used to be copper lined. If you really want cedar bad you can always take the really thin sheets they separate rows of cigars with and cut them to fix your boxes. Obviously that'd be for the paper boxes and obviously non cedar boxes.

I too have been considering a project similar to this. I've been looking at TV cabinets though. In two years when I'm not in college I might attempt something like that.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Isn't the cedar lining in humidors usually glued into place?
Mine is not. We used a floating design to allow for expansion. The sealer for the corners was also oderless and non-toxic.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Remember the turnover in those walk ins is usually pretty high so the cigars don't have time to pick up the flavors. As long as they are in boxes who knows but long term you may see some transfer. Love your cab. IndyRob did something similar with an old china hutch he bought for nothing. Sealed it and put it to use.

I did a custom TV cabinet but did line it. Love the smell but the cedar was pricey.
Id probably need to ask someone thats aged cigars in both a cooler and a cedar lined humidor if theres any issues with aging in a non cedar environment. Aside from absorbing moisture and making the environment more stable and of course the aroma I dont see how Cedar does anything else for aging besides the cigars picking up a bit of the aroma at the most. Which after I put 4 trays and 2 drawers all made of cedar inside the cabinet I think the aroma from the cedar will be quite prevalent.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Id probably need to ask someone thats aged cigars in both a cooler and a cedar lined humidor if theres any issues with aging in a non cedar environment. Aside from absorbing moisture and making the environment more stable and of course the aroma I dont see how Cedar does anything else for aging besides the cigars picking up a bit of the aroma at the most. Which after I put 4 trays and 2 drawers all made of cedar inside the cabinet I think the aroma from the cedar will be quite prevalent.
I have done both. The difference is that the cooler was hard plastic. Washed and let dry in the air and it becomes virtually oderless. No smell. Oak on the other hand when it becomes damp from the humidity will. Cedar also repells beetles and holds mositure thus stabilizing. It is all about time. Mine set set and done for 6 months. But it was also pricey to do. Yours will require more maintenance but at that cost... Very cool.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
for 48 hours its been at 63-65% so Im pretty happy with it, replacing the oak or veneering it is a possibility if it becomes an issue. I dont have to worry too much about cigars sitting for too long just yet though. My stash just isnt big enough that any cigars get over 6-9 months of aging before I light them up. But hopefully over the next 6-12 months thats going to change.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not. We used a floating design to allow for expansion. The sealer for the corners was also oderless and non-toxic.

Can you expand on that? (pun intended) I'm looking at doing this same project plus adding a lining, and looking for the best way to install it. I know diddly shit about woodworking, so everything is new to me and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.