What's new

The few, the proud...

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Marines. I'm seriously considering enlisting. I know I'm probably crazy, but I think it's just the structure I need in my life. I have yet to talk to my parents about it, but I'm pretty sure they'd be all for it.

What do you guys think?

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I tried... I would have loved it.... But i failed my physical... There is Something about knee surgery that they are not to fond of....

this was 3.5 years ago, do i think that i would have regreted the decision seeing todays environment, hell no.... I would still go if I could, there is nothing better that could be done for your country

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Big step, but a proud one. Look deep at your reasons for wanting to do it. If after doing so you are still of the same mind...by all means, go for it! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I"m always supportive of people making their own decisons..That being said, there are other things in life that provide structure, if that's what you are after.

I elisted as you want to when I was twenty...I regret little in my life, but it was not the right thing for me at the time, as well intentioned as my motives were.

It was also a different time, we weren't engaged in a full scale war.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I respect anyone who joins any branch of the US military. They offer a great future for those that stick around.
I have a brother in law who retired at 42 as a major. Then started a very successful carreer in real estate. He still draws military pay, free health care, and numerous other benefits.
Right now I have a good friend doing his captain's tour on the USS Abraham Lincoln. He'll retire after two more years at 47 yrs. old.
The chance to retire under 50 with pay and benefits, where else you gonna find that. And 50 is still young enough to launch a second carreer.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I would recommend the military to almost anyone. Joining the Army was the second best decision I ever made. I was in a VERY similar situation as yourself Eric. 20, working at Best Buy, lived in the same town my whole life, and felt like a major change was what I needed to get out of the rut and move on with the rest of my life.

Just be sure to take everything so see, hear, and read about it with a grain of salt. It is what YOU make of it. There is a lot of sensationalizing out there and military life is FAR from as glorious as it seems from the outside.

With that said, I would recommend it as long as you are joining for the right reasons, it sounds like you are, and you can enter with realistic expectations.

If you wait a few more weeks to decide Texas Cop will be on Christmas break and I am sure he will tel us all about his experiences thus far.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM, I will give you my number and we can talk about it. :thumbsup: